Through the Eye of the Needle / Part 7

Alice had putted on her new red suit she bought for her all the on screen TV interviews she had to do for job as a news reporter. It was something else than writing, but for now she liked the balance between writing herself and giving others the chance to tell their story on screen. The bright red blazer fitted her perfectly just as her matching pants did. She contently gave herself a smile in the mirror and grabbed her bag.

She had a long lunch break before she had to get back to the TV station so she decided to surprise FP with some fresh baked scones from Riverdale's finest bakery. After their meeting with the Lodge's they still hadn't talked about it and she was sure they would come with an ultimatum any time soon.

She had thought about being honest with Charles and tell them about the blackmail, but that wasn't something she wanted to do without FP's consent. Joining him for lunch gave them an opportunity to talk about their strategy as well. One thing was for sure, she wasn't going to let FP lose his job.

Alice greeted FP's assistant with a smile who already caught on to their relationship. It wasn't the first time she had visited him at the station even though it had been over a few months since she came into his office. Her heart still ached thinking back of the words he had said there to her, but that was all in the past now. There was no use in repeating those words over and over to herself because all she did was reliving it. She knew FP cared about her and wanted to make it work this time. That was all what counted for the time being.

His face lit up when he saw her walking into his office. She noticed how his eyes scanned her body and for a moment she felt proud that he was checking her out. It made her feel like they were in high school all over again. He never made a secret about the fact that he was analysing her body. The crooked grin she loved so much appeared on his face.

''Hey, what are you doing here?'' He asked, his eyes up anywhere but her face. Alice grinned and placed the bag with scones on his desk. It was full of files so he probably was working hard to make everything ready for court next week. She was glad that she had collected all her proof together with Charles because she wasn't sure she was ready to share all her experiences about the farm with FP. Not that she not trusted him, but for now the wounds were just too fresh.

''Surprising you with some scones from my favourite bakery. I assumed you didn't have time to get some good lunch, so I thought I'd bring you some.'' FP got out of his chair and placed his hands on her hips. She was leaning against his desk waiting for him to finally greet her properly. He smiled gratefully and planted a soft kiss on her lips. ''That's very thoughtful. I am starving so your timing couldn't be more perfect.'' He said softly while caressing her legs.

The bags under his eyes betrayed that he was extremely tired even if he wouldn't admit it. For the last few weeks all he had done was working, sleeping and eating and repeating those three things. A free night seemed to be a very rare occasion.

He knew that since they were together again Alice liked to have him home more often. Luckily he had a free evening for Thanksgiving, which was tomorrow night. It was probably going to be his only night off until the case against the Evernevers was over but at least he got to spend it with his family.

Her index finger stroke against the stubble on his chin, looking him softly into his eyes. ''We still have to talk about the Lodges.'' She carefully started. FP sighed and nodded slowly. He knew he should have told her sooner but his whole idea to go to Hermione's home was so impulsive that he didn't even think it through. He just wished he could keep her out of it. It was his problem, not hers.

''About that...'' He started, knowing that she wasn't going to be happy about it. Before he could say anything further they got interrupted by a knock in the door. The woman that was standing in his door opening was the same woman they were just starting to talk about. She was dressed in a black and white suit and a navy blue coat. She looked nervous, but FP knew exactly why she was there.