The second letter

Charles grabbed the last of Alice's bag and brought them upstairs into the Jones household. Since Betty had been staying there for a while now it would make sense of Alice would stay there too until she had found a new place to live. Charles had promised to look for a new place too since the FBi made her give up her house in the first place, but things weren't going as smoothly with the house hunt as they both had hoped.

Alice wasn't really in the mood to explain someone else besides her daughter what happened the last few months, so she was lucky to have a son like Charles  who explained everything to FP after they met for the very first time. Both FP and Charles till needed some time to adjust to the fact that they had a son or father but they had promised each other to take things slow and they genuinely wanted to get to know each other better.

Even though Alice had been staying at Elm Street, her and FP hadn't really talked much ever since. Every word they had said to each other was about something small and both of them weren't comfortable enough to talk about the elephant in the room. He badly felt the need to talk to her about Charles and about what happened to whatever the two of them did, but he felt in everything that Alice wasn't ready for that. Most of the time she avoided him or gave him the shortest answer possible.

One morning after Alice had been staying at his house for a few weeks she was making breakfast for everyone. She had always loved to do it and seeing everyone leave for school or work with a smile on their faces and a full stomach was what she did it for. She loved taking care of her family, even though that family was mostly dysfunctional. Besides small talk at breakfast Alice hadn't really had a good conversation with Jellybean and she wasn't sure both of them were ready for that. Above all it was only permanently so maybe it wasn't even necessary to get to know each other.

Jellybean was eating her pancakes while Alice's phone rang. She looked at the ID and saw that her son was calling her, which still made her heart glow every time she saw his name.

''Charles, honey, I'm so glad you called.'' She had a big smile on her face and Jellybean actually thought it was very sweet. She had met her brother a few weeks ago and they had a good click with each other so she couldn't wait to see him again.

FP had told her to take things slow since it was a lot to take for her and the rest of the family, but she was a very impatient girl. She missed out hanging out with Jughead for a few years and she wasn't planning on missing out more time with Charles.

''Alice, Hi. I called to talk about your new home. I found a house we can look at around five o'clock. I hope you can make some time for that so we can go together.'' Alice hadn't noticed that FP came downstairs and overheard their conversation. Her back was facing him while she stared out of the kitchen window.

''A house? Really? Yes, of course I have time for that. I'll meet you there later. Bye honey.'' FP felt like somebody was squeezing his heart when he heard that Alice and Betty moving out was so close now. Jellybean had grabbed her bag and kissed her father's cheek before she ran out the door since she was already late for school. Charles had hung up the phone so that left the two of them together in the living room.

When Alice turned around she saw that FP was standing there in his uniform, ready to leave for work. Her eyes met his and she tried hard to swallow the lump in her throat away. They haven't been alone by themselves for a very long time and now they were she had no clue what to say to him even though her head was full of things she never said out loud but wanted to so badly.

''You found a house?'' FP asked her as calm as possible. He wasn't planning on letting the hurt in his voice show, but Alice knew better. Of course he was hurt. She was too, but living with him under the same roof without actually being with him was way more hurtful than moving out.