I'll Always Look Out For You

"Are you insane, FP?!" Alice scoffed loudly as she listened to what he had to tell her. He had been in another fight, even after he had promised to be more careful after he got shot in Pop's. Clearly he didn't care.

"Oh, so protecting Archie is suddenly insane now?! I told you that as long as it takes, I will make sure that boy is safe. Stop attacking me for doing the right thing." FP raised his voice until it dropped dangerously low.

Normally he'd be there to listen and make sure she knew that he wasn't doing anything crazy, but he was done being called out every time the smallest thing happened. This was his life and he could take a few punches. He wasn't made of fucking porcelain.

"Are you serious now? The right thing? You consider getting into another fight is the right thing? Are you out of your damn mind?" Alice huffed and poked her tongue into her cheek as she turned away from him. She was too angry to even look at him. Why didn't he take her concern seriously?

"God, please stop criticizing every single thing I do. It's nothing I haven't dealt with before." FP sighed and rubbed his face with his hands as an attempt to calm himself down, which was completely useless. He was done with her acting like he was made of glass. A few punches more or less wasn't going to make the difference.

"That's because it has always been like this, FP! Don't you see how fucked up that is? That this is your normal?!" Alice turned around as she yelled, the tears stinging in her eyes. She was just strong enough to hold them back. Now was not the time to cry. She was mad, and he was going to feel it.

"I don't have a fucking choice, do I?! You know that this is what you signed up for when we got back together. You know that I've always been like this. So stop trying to change that." FP defended himself, his voice like a low growl as he saw the hurt in her eyes. He knew he hit her where it stung, but she had done the same. And like a scorpion, it was his only defence.

"You always have a choice. So, what's it going to be?" Alice crossed her arms as she looked straight into his eyes. Her lips trembled, but she wasn't going to give him the satisfaction of her breaking down. Of her being the one to compromise.

If only she'd know that were just the voices in her head driving her crazy, instead of asking him what was going on. That was were it always went wrong. They always started a war instead of sitting down and talking.

"I need to get out of here." FP shook his head and walked over to the coatrack and grabbed his Serpent Jacket before leaving the house, letting the door slam hard.

Little did he know that on the top of the stairs his youngest child had heard every single thing. Every little word. And they hadn't just hurt themselves with their fight, they would come to learn that it affected Jellybean more than they had realized. The girl quickly wiped away her tears and rushed down the stairs. Without even grabbing her coat, she left the house. Just like her dad, she needed to be alone right now.

**

Jellybean sadly stirred her straw through her strawberry milkshake as she sat all alone in a booth at Pop's. It was the only place she knew where to go. Would her father come back? Would they say sorry to each other and would everything be fine? Or was this the beginning of the end already and did she have to move again?

She sniffed silently, her eyes down onto the table as a redheaded boy had been watching the sad girl. He was just picking up his order as he looked around to see if a family member of hers was close. It looked like she was all by herself. But this wasn't just some quick stop to have her favourite drink. Archie knew better than that. Whenever he felt alone, he would love to come to Pop's, too.

"Is this seat taken?" Archie smiled to the sister of his best friend and gestured to the spot across of her. The girl looked up and met his eyes, shyly shaking her head.