A Night to Remember

''You're overreacting, Alice.'' Hal sighed loudly as he looked at how his wife was pacing through their living room. It was past midnight and they had been fighting for a few hours now and neither of them was willing to give in.

''I'm overreacting?! You are barely home, Hal. How could you possibly know?'' She scoffed and stopped walking to make sure he could see the anger in her eyes.

''Betty and Polly are fine. What's the big deal?'' Hal stood up as he shook his head, ready to leave for bed whether she was joining him or not.

He was done being attacked by her for not being there enough when in his eyes the kids needed their mother more than their father. This was just the way it was supposed to go in a family. He'd provide, she'd take care.

''If you had been home, you'd know what the big deal is.'' She said dangerously calm as she had stopped pacing through the room to see where he was going.

Hal stood still and turned around, making her eyes met his own once again. The look in her eyes was terrifying, but he'd knew exactly how to play her. It wasn't a secret that Alice was ambitious, but the guilt of giving up her first son was eating her alive and he knew that she'd do anything to ease that feeling a little bit by taking care of their daughters.

''Stop acting like me providing for our family is a bad thing, Alice. I am sick of being the bad guy here.'' He spat out and suddenly the look on her face changed. She let down the finger she had pointed at him and relaxed in a way that couldn't possibly be good.

Without another word she grabbed her coat and stormed out the door, shutting it with a bang and leaving him all by himself. He looked at the spot where she just left and expected her to come back within a minute, but after standing there for a while he realized that maybe this time she wouldn't.

**

Alice absentmindedly walked through the streets of Riverdale, not knowing where her feet would take her as she searched for something in her purse. As a present out of heaven her flask was still in there and filled with a good amount of whiskey. She had it in there for emergencies and tonight definitely felt like one.

Her phone told her that was almost one in the morning now, but she didn't bother returning anytime soon. She'd show what the big deal was. He could take care of their kids for a while and see how hard it was to do that while still having a full-time job.

Without realizing she had led herself to the South Side after walking for thirty minutes, to the place that used to be her home. She hadn't been there for so long that she could barely remember the last time she was there, but everything was still the same. The smell, the vibe, the sound. Every little thing.

By now she was chugging the whiskey in her flask like it was water but it would at least ease the empty feeling inside her. She had just left her home in the middle of the night for the very first time in her life, leaving her daughters with someone she barely trusted with them even when it was their father. But tonight, she couldn't let him win.

She stumbled across one of the trailers that she knew out of thousand and stopped in the middle of her route through Sunnyside to stand still and look at it for a few seconds. It wasn't the moment to get sentimental, but she couldn't stop the growing lump in her throat as she looked at the trailer of no other than FP Jones. She had slept countless times under that roof but abandoned it the second she had no other choice left.

''Alice? What the hell are you doing here?'' A voice said surprised.

It wasn't until FP started talking that she noticed that he was sitting on his doorstep, smoking a cigarette. She had been so focused on the trailer that she had barely registered him sitting there. She hoped that he hadn't seen her standing there for several minutes now.