The Old Sewerpipe

It had been the third time this week. Alice just couldn't take it anymore. All she wished for was for her mother to be sober and step up as her parent. She was barely fifteen years old, with no friends, her father on the run and her mother using drugs like it was some kind of candy. Living on the south side of a town like Riverdale wasn't easy, but having a screwed up parent made it even worse.

There was no place where she really felt at safe. In the trailer she shared with her mother on Sunnyside Trailer Park she could always sleep, but it wasn't more than that. Her mom never showed any interest in her life. She didn't even care about that fact that she had joined the Serpents at such a young age.

At first it had just been a rebellious action to wake her mother up out never ending day dream, but in the end against all odds they really started to feel like a family to her. She never joined them to find that kind of comfort but in the end she knew that there were people who had her back. 

It wasn't that usual to let someone as young as Alice into the Serpents, but her dad used to be one before he had grabbed his bags and left the both of them. In a way having the chance to become a Serpent was the only legacy he had left her.

But now it was  just a regular Monday afternoon, and she didn't feel like going to the Whyrm. The Southside Serpents might be a gang, she would still get a lecture about why she wasn't in class and that was the last thing she needed right now. 

There weren't that much people of her age there, and right now her heart ached for someone who understood her in a way the Serpents didn't. She has people looking out of her and that was more than she had ever dreamed of, but sometimes there was still something missing.

There was just one other thing that kept her mind of her home situation: writing. Alice wasn't the type to skip class that often, but she just couldn't drag herself to school today. It was one of those days where she felt lost, like she didn't belong anywhere. Not at school, not at Sunnyside, not at the Whyrm.

Her thoughts had brought her towards the edge of Sweetwater River, where she threw some of the stones into the water out of boredom. The sounds of the water streaming made her calm down a bit. She thought about how the water had already covered thousands of miles from the top of a mountain and would go on doing so until it had reached its lowest point.

It made her feel like she was part of something bigger, something more than just a shitty hell-hole like Riverdale. One day she was getting out of there and she would never look back. She would walk thousands of miles to end up somewhere else, maybe somewhere where the river would lead her.

For now she would be stuck here, at least until she had her high school diploma. Unlike most Serpents she was determined to graduate high school. She had always dreamt of being a journalist, maybe even in New York. Not only people on other continents had the American Dream. She had one just as much.

Alice had walked for over thirty minutes now until her eyes fell on something on the left side of the river, that was covered in moss and leaves all around it. The closer she came, the more she saw what it was. 

It seemed like an old sewer pipe that hadn't been used for over decades. For a second she wondered where the pipe would lead her, maybe there was an underground sewer system that was abandoned because this one clearly wasn't used anymore.

Your eye really had to fell on this place, otherwise you would never notice it was even there. It seemed like a perfect spot to hide, so that was what she was going to do now. At least there was one place in Riverdale where it felt like she wasn't getting bothered by someone.

She sat herself down onto the ground with her denim jeans touching the dirty leaves on it. Not that she really cared, but the puddle she was sitting in was making her legs cold. At least her Serpent jacket was protecting her back from the cold that was coming of the concrete material.