Alice Susanna Smith

Alice glanced at the clock. It was two in the morning already. No time for sleep though, everything had to be perfect. After all these years she could finally celebrate the way they were always supposed to do. Her head was spinning from sleepless nights, but the adrenaline was keeping her awake. If this was healthy was a question she'd rather leave unanswered. What was most important was that it made her feel better. There were twenty-six years she had to make up for. Twenty-six birthdays to celebrate. She wasn't sure how in God's name she actually had to act on a day like that, but baking a cake, or actually twenty-six cakes, was the first step.

The upcoming birthday had kept her up for some time now but saying it out loud or even talking to FP about it was just too hard. She trusted him with everything, so she kept wondering why this was so difficult for her to open up about. Being nervous for your oldest child's birthday wasn't so weird, was it? Were parents ever nervous for a kid's birthday? She recalled that she had been stressed when Polly and Betty were young, but that was mostly because she had to be in the same room with Hal's family for a whole day. That had nothing to do with her daughters getting older.

Charles was different. He was the boy she had to give up. He was the boy she held in her arms for not longer than a minute before he was snatched out of her hands. He was the boy she had turned away when he knocked on her door. He was the boy that she thought was dead. He was the boy that had approached her when she was sucked into the farm. He was the boy that had become an FBI agent. He was the boy that was given to her by the love of her life. And right now, the love of her life was deep into his sleeping coma, having no idea that Alice had started stress baking.

Every time she looked into the eyes of her son, she felt a mix of emotions that was still hard to explain. It was as if she saw him for the first time all over again, realizing that she was reunited with her first born. But at the same time, it was remembering how The Sisters had taken him away from her. That soul wrecking feeling was something she could never suppress. Not even time had healed that scar. Not even Charles' return could. As she cut the fruit rapidly her mind wandered through her teenage years—How would things have been if she had told FP? What would have happened if she hadn't backed out?

Forsythe Pendelton Jones the Second was the boy she knew like no other and at the same time it felt like she didn't know him at all. They grew up together but hadn't really bonded before high school. For a long time it had been just a few stolen glances, or a longing look. But she knew who he was. And he knew who she was.

Once they started talking, it seemed like an unbreakable connection was made. There weren't many words needed to understand each other. Whenever he got beaten up by his Dad, he knew how to find her trailer and she'd always stich him up without any further questions. Or when she had been in an awful fight with her Mom again, she knew there was a shoulder she could cry on. He understood her. She understood him. That was just how it was. They said so much without actually saying anything and eventually that is exactly what killed them.

Just as any other teenager FP wanted to break free from his parents, but his motives were way deeper, way darker than anyone else's. He wanted to survive. And she did too. The ironic thing? They both used the same coping mechanism that they hated so much on the other.

The second FP thought it'd be better to act and dress like a Northsider they drifted further apart. She didn't understand him anymore. And she didn't ask for an explanation. Since faith was never on their side, it decided for Alice to get pregnant at the moment she never felt more disconnected from him. How could she reach the boy that she once was so close with but now seemed like a total stranger?

There wasn't so much left for Alice to do. She was all alone—no money, no support system, no real friends. The one person she could count on? Herself. Sure, her mother was still around but could you really depend on a drug addict that couldn't even stay clean for any longer than a week?