The loss of a friend

a/n: hi guys! this one shot actually is a few chapters out of one of my stories but i wanted to upload it here for the people who may have not read this yet, because I've put a lot of thought into this chapter and it was actually ver hard to write. it still breaks my heart that luke isn't here anymore and I've been thinking about him a lot lately, so I felt like posting this here too. i actually don't want falice to rise on the grief of Fred, but it is more written as a little tribute because I do love to see how they support each other coping with such a difficult thing. sorry for the people who have already read it, I promise to post something new soon!

for the record: what took place before this one shot is that alice moved in with the Jones' and that she slept with him the two nights before but rejected him, so I hope it makes a little sense.

That afternoon Alice got home from doing groceries. Even though she just would stay at Elm Street until she had found a new home again, she felt the responsibility to help them out since they were staying there for free. It was her mother instinct that made her take care of them without asking. 

She hadn't talked to FP after he left at dinner but maybe that was for the best. Things had been kind of cold but she had no idea how to approach him without making it painful. She knew she had to talk to him eventually but she wasn't sure what she should say. His heart was broken and this time it was her fault, even though she chose for herself and her own recovery. 

There were so many things on her mind but it was just too hard to tell him. Of course she loved him, but somehow it wasn't enough right now. When she opened the red door she carried the bags with groceries inside. There was something different and when she looked up she saw that her feeling was right. FP was standing in the living room with the tears streaming down his face. His mind was definitely somewhere else because he hadn't even noticed that Alice came in. She had never seen him in a state like that and it was actually scaring her. FP Jones wasn't a man that showed his emotions, certainely not with others around. 

"FP, what's the matter?'' She dropped the bags as fast as she could and ran over to him. Something was terribly wrong. It seemed like he still hadn't noticed that she was standing in front of him because his eyes were staring at a non existent horizon. 

Her eyes searched for his and a few seconds later he snapped out of his trance. He just looked into her eyes with the most broken look she had ever seen. His lips were moving, trying to form words but he didn't succeed yet. Looking deep into her soft icing blue eyes made him found the courage to speak. ''

''Mary just called...'' he managed to whisper. His voice was raspy, like he almost couldn't breathe. Alice still didn't know what FP was about to tell, but her eyes never left his. She gave him the time to find his words.  

''Fred got in a car accident. He didn't make it, Al.'' When he spoke the tears streamed down his face. While saying the words he never hoped he would ever have to say to someone his voice broke and he didn't try for a second to hide this.

''What?'' she managed to get out. She couldn't believe what she heard. Fred Andrews wasn't there anymore. The only one in this town she was sure of that she could trust. Her high school friend, her neighbour for over twenty years had passed away. She felt tears forming in her eyes and let them slide down on her cheek. She didn't even had words to describe the way she felt right now. 

''He isn't here anymore.'' FP cried out in disbelief, like he was more talking to himself than to Alice. Before she could even blink she had wrapped her arms around him and he slowly leant in to her, letting all his sobs out. FP started to cry uncontrollably and Alice did everything to keep him up his feet. It was the first time she had ever seen him like this. Her arms around him were everything he needed right now and he was not planning on letting go.