If Forever Is Over Tomorrow

A/N: Hi loves! Had the dialogue for this story for some time in my notes, and today felt the day to finally write it. Took me hours, but I am proud of it. Hope you will take time to read it and maybe even leave a comment. This story talks about alcoholism, drug abuse and teenage pregnancies. If those are difficult things for you to read about please be careful. Lots of love! X
—————

There were some faint echoes in Alice's mind, and she could barely register what it was. Were it voices? Were it screams? Was it something from a dream?

Her eyelashes fluttered involuntarily, and as soon as the bright lights hit her eyes, she wanted to close them again. Her head felt heavy, and her body was thoroughly exhausted, but there was one thing that made her want to stay awake—it was the warmth of a hand holding her own.

With all the energy she had left, she turned her head to the side, and noticed the faint outline of a man with dark hair, a scruff on his face, and the signature flannel that had always belonged to him. She smiled faintly when the sight became clearer. It was the man she loved. It was FP Jones.

"Hey, you." Alice whispered, smiling a little to him. She could feel that his hand was trembling a little, but she didn't understand why.

"You're awake..." FP dared to smile too, and held her hand a little tighter. She liked the small gesture.

"I had the weirdest dream..." She said tiredly, before closing her eyes for a brief second, as if that could help her remember.

"What did you dream about?" He asked softly, wanting to savor the last few minutes before her life would come crumbling down, before she knew what had happened the night before.

She looked at him again, and noticed that besides the trembling hands, he looked tired. There was something different about him, but she couldn't figure out what. She was too exhausted.

"After graduation... you left. You left with Jellybean. You were gone for seven years." She looked at him sleepily, but her mouth still curled in a soft smile, as if she was still so utterly relieved that it was just a dream.

FP casted his eyes away, knowing that one way or another he had to break her heart all over again. It wasn't fair she had to go through this heartbreak twice, she had never deserved for him to drop her heart like that, not when he knew like no other how fragile it was.

He wasn't sure he could do it again, because every single time he broke a piece of her, he broke a little something inside himself. That's what happened when your souls are entwined. Their hurt becomes your own.

And while that felt incredibly selfish, when he saw how peaceful she looked with the knowledge that he was right there next to him, he knew he had to dig deep to get those words over his lips.

"Alice, I..." He looked at her again, with trembling lips.

These were the last few seconds she would have peace. For a brief second, he believed that maybe she didn't have to know. Maybe it would be better if she had forgotten the last seven years. He could spare her the heartache of him leaving, of losing her daughter, of being so utterly alone.

But only in a utopia he would manage to turn back to time, to ask her to come with him on that graduation day, to never be apart again. But he hadn't. And life hadn't been okay ever since.

However, before FP could even try to find the right words to explain her what had happened the past seven years, and last night in particular, the hospital door opened. He looked over his shoulder, and his face fell.

It was Frank Andrews, and FP knew exactly what he was doing here. He was there to take his place next to her, to be the one to hold her hand.

"What are you doing here?" Frank looked directly at FP, and while the look in his eyes was subtle, it was very clear what he meant—you don't belong here.