The Motorbike

It had been a month since Alice had moved into the Jones house. It felt weird being back there since she had so many memories there she wanted to forget. At the same time it was the house where Betty and Polly had grew up. She remembered how they had set their footsteps right there next to where the couch was standing. The worst thing was that those memories where overshadowed because Hal was in all those memories too. 

Alice longed for a place where she could make new memories. The fact that Hal was in every corner of the house hurt her because it was the same house where she lived all her life. She had felt at home there. It was the house where she had baked all her delicious pies and where she had breakfast every morning with her daughters. 

Speaking of food, Alice had just made dinner for herself, Betty, FP and Jellybean. Jughead was at his prep school and she noticed that Betty missed him a lot. They were cleaning the dishes and Alice had noticed that her mind was somewhere else. It was obvious that she was thinking about her boyfriend who wouldn't be back for another three days. 

Even though it was already kind of late, FP had been working on Jughead's motorbike which he broke the last weekend he was at home. He had been doing a ride around the town with Betty when the bike suddenly just stopped working. They had to walk all the way back towards Elm Street. Jughead was lucky his dad actually knew how to fix it, even though it wasn't an easy task. 

Betty looked outside the window and saw FP struggling with the bike. His hair was already dirty from the grease and he had a confused look on his face. Betty handed over the laste plate she washed to her mother and putted on one of Jughead's dirty t-shirts which she saw lying on the chair.

''I'm going to help FP out. Maybe I know what's wrong with it.'' Alice smiled to her, knowing that Betty secretly missed working on bikes and cars. It was probably good for her to rekindle one of her old hobbies. She remembered how many times Betty and Hal would fix an old car together. She had always loved it, even as a young girl. 

Betty walked outside and looked down towards FP, but he didn't notice her yet. He was lying on the ground with his head under the bike to look up closely towards the motor. 

''Do you need some help, Mr. Jones?'' Betty grinned a little. He looked up and smiled at his daughter-in-law. He had been working on it for hours now so he certainley could use some help. He remembered Alice telling him that fixing cars was one of Betty's not so secrets talents.

''Ah, Betty. Yeah I do. My boy doesn't know a thing about bikes so I could use some brains.'' FP got up and stands next to her. He wiped away the sweat on his forehead with the back of  his hand. He was wearing gloves that were covered with dirt, so instead of cleaning his forehead he made it even worse.

''I have no clue what he did with it.'' Betty laughed and took one of the tools. She got on her knees and looked at the bike of her boyfriend. Even though she hadn't fixed that much bikes she still loved learning something new. It wasn't something she would say out loud but she badly needed something to take her mind of missing Jughead and this was already helping her. 

After a few hours Betty's head was just as dirty as FP's and her clothes were dirty as well. She had found the problem, but it was hard to fix. This was going to take at least a couple of days.

''You are pretty good at this, where did you learn that?'' FP was impressed by how fast she found what was wrong with it. She wiped away the sweat from her forehead and created a black smear on her face.''I used to fix a lot of cars with my dad.'' She said without looking him in the eyes. 

It fell still for a moment. Betty's eyes were still fixacted on the bike, not noticing that FP was staring it her. He knew this must hurt her in some way, and he couldn't do a thing to take that away. With this kind of things Betty was just the same as her mother. There was a big wall around her to not show how much she actually missed it.