Queen of Kush

"So if we attack with combat from the south, they will have no choice but to obey under our liege," I spoke to the generals in the cramped room. Hours had passed as we discussed matters of war and combat.

"I want to see him now!" a harsh voice sounded in the distance. I knew her voice and it reigned supreme.

"Your majesty no! He is with people!" a guard explained, attempting to hold her back. She pushed through the entrance and stared me down, a pool of rage rested in her eyes. I was hunched over plans for a trade deal but I stopped to inspect the disturbance.

It was only when she saw the other men in the room did she bend to her knees and bowed. The generals froze as they saw the scene, only moving when I held up my hand to signal their departure. She refused to stand until everyone left the room. Habakkut was the last man to leave and slowly closed the door behind him.

"Rise" I snapped, angered at the amateur intrusion. She stood to face me, challenging my stature.

"Hmm hmmm?" a person coughed in the shadows. Both our heads turned as we searched for its owner. The Queen of Kush sat in a chair the background, taking relish in our silence. I had grown to know her from my past encounters and knew she wouldn't part unless she was introduced.

"Queen, this is my wife, Nakini". I sighed.

The queen smiled pridefully as she observed her, taking in her unfamiliar physique. "Ahhh! So this is the famed Nakini, Princess of Zothando. The firey spirit who has tamed the cruel king's heart " she smirked, bragging of her accolades. Nakini only inspected her, reluctant to speak until she could judge her character. "Your spirit is strong but your resilence is even stronger" she stood to face her, smiling at her bravery.

"If it seems that way to a stranger, then it must be true" she smirked, matching her confidence.

"Shame, Titus hated a girl who showed resilience...when I was betrothed to him." she sighed, lamenting at the lost opportunity. It was true, I had been betrothed to her but our lives could no longer match.

"Betrothed?" she asked, adjusting her stance.

"Just one of the MANY reasons why the union of our kingdoms didn't go through" I spat, eager to dead the topic. I observed Nakani as she tried to mask her surprise from hearing the revelation; I had never told Nakini she was an old flame. She pushed a braid to rest behind her shoulder and looked to me.

"My queen, if you would excuse us" I speak. She giggled and nodded, taking a cue from the atmosphere. "I will see you tonight at dinner Nakini!" she beamed and stepped away with the two guards who came in to escort her to her quarters.

"So why have you intruded in my place of work yet again" I sighed, pushing myself to rest atop of the wooden desk.

Nakini came to face me and stood tall to observe my eyes.

"Itai." she vocalized, stepping into my space. I opened my eyes with disgust and grabbed her chin, my spirits were enraged at the mention of his name.

"How dare you speak that name in this sacred place? How dare his name come from your beautiful lips?" I questioned with rage. She challenged my anger with her bravery and snapped her jaw away. "I want his freedom!"

My heart froze as I heard her words, thinking back to what I had done to him.

"I want to see him Titus. Release him so he can go return to my lands"

"No...No Nakini anything but that" I start to panic. She couldn't see what I did to him. She looked away, saddened by my objection."You said any desire of my heart. Are you not a man of your word?"