Itai

I hadn't seen Titus since the night of our strange outing. It was Friday now and the hot desert sun had just set in the late hours of the afternoon. Only one day remained before the ceremony...

Titus insisted we sleep in separate rooms until the passage of Osiris took place. Not having contact with each other would help us resist temptation so he says.

"It was horrible Zoporath! How they sell girls like that" I filled in my handmaiden. She poured sweet smelling oils down my back as she rubbed them in softly. I hadn't seen her since the the week prior since I started staying in Titus's room.

"Nakini you put too much emotion into everything! Those madam houses are common in Egypt. Women get bought and sold all the time. Every man goes there to release some stress. It is customary" she shrugged; it was another faux pas of their land.

"Well it is a dumb thing to do! Why would Titus expose me to something like that?"

"Perhaps he wanted you to feel at ease your majesty. He is really trying." She encourages me.

"He made me more fearful than anything. And he didn't even call it off" I sighed before standing to wear my nightgown.

"You are overthinking the act Nakini. He will lead an you follow. Titus is not a virgin and he will help you feel at ease." she encouraged, tying the end of my black night dress.

I looked to her as she stared into the beauty of the setting sky from the windows. It seemed as if something was on her mind....

"It is the people watching that makes me scared. And his brother will be there..."

"Rameses" she asked.

"Yes...he scares me and gives me evil vibes"

"Just ignore everyone in the room. Only look to your husband. He is your only concern."

I nodded and grinned sheepishly. Tomorrow was the day my life would change....

"Is there anything else you need?" she asked, adjusting my hair before she stepped back to leave.

I looked into the mirror to adjust myself before I turned to her. "Yes... tell me how one would visit the prisons."

"You would go past the chambers, into the archways past the dark hallway in the East's wing." she whispered, filling me in. I nodded and run to grab my cloak to conceal myself.

"Nakini!! don't tell me you are venturing there?" Zeporath gasped with disbelief.

"It is the only time I can visit Itai. Titus will not call for me since we must remain separated. I cannot ask Habakkut since he will tell him. I must go alone" I admitted. I had been wanting to visit Itai....I had missed him all this time and wanted to see how he was. He deserved a visit from a friend.

"But why now? Do you still have feelings for him?" She asked.

"I...that is what I want to see..." I admitted. Although I missed Itai, I could no longer hide my feelings for Titus. He had found his way into my heart...and settled. Maybe seeing Itai would resurface my feelings for him?

Zeporath knew me by know and knew it was futile to try and dissuade me. She only rubbed her cheek and nodded. "Here come! Hurry! I will show you the way" she grabbed my palm and led me to a secret path.

——

"This is as far as I can take you" Zeporath clued me. I nodded, hugging her warmly before I ventured in the dampened hallways. I crouched low, sneaking deeper into the dungeons. A line of guards secured the perimeters as I reached the main doors. Zeporath had prepped me for their presence; I quickly took out my bag of money and fished for two coins each.