Two Mothers

The hushed tones and conversations of the servants echoed through the empty room as I fought awake. Eagerly, I studied the scene to learn where I was but curse as I see the familiar carpets and tapestries of Titus's room.

"Your majesty" Zeporath came to my bedside, urging me to lay down. She lifted a cold drink to my lips and wiped the sweat from my forehead.

"All I remember is blacking out" I fought to speak; my mouth was so cracked and parched.

"You fainted last night my queen" Zeporath admitted hesitantly. I hummed in acknowledgment and drink more of the liquid.

"Where is Titus?" I asked with a pang of annoyance; it was his fault for my illness.

"He left just a few minutes ago. The big trial is today"

"Oh...that is today?" I held my head and stood to stretch.

"He wished for you to be there but commanded us to let you rest and regain your strength" Zeporath informed me. I rolled my eyes and went to look in the reflection of the mirror. "I assume he told you all why I am this way" I laughed.

"My queen...having a child is not all that it seems. The king only wants what is best for you" she tried to explain. I cringed at my reflection as I pull my tired eyes; they were filled with sadness and hurt. A thick layer of crust had formed, probably from all my tears.

"Dress me up Zeporath. Fetch my finest robes and silk. I am going"

"But..Nakini"

"Did you hear me?" I snapped. She bowed with obedience and ran to fetch each cloth. I was tired of him commanding me; I was a queen and had as much power as him. If I desired to go to the trial, I would do so out of my free will.

____

I regard him at the seat of his throne, reading over the final notes of the trial. I was still angered at his words from before but thought it best to come to show my support.

His eyes snapped from the thick papyrus and shifted up to me; it was as if he felt my presence in the congested room. He shot up from his golden chair and stepped down to greet me.

"You came?" he questioned. I could tell he was annoyed that I had blatantly disregarded his orders. I ignored his interrogation and bent to kiss his ring.

"Nakini..." he tried to explain his words from yesterday; of course, he would try to apologize now.

"I advise you to focus on the trial on hand. " I stated flatly and turned to take my seat in the height of the stands. I was a woman so it was there I was sentenced to sit and observe. Zeportath and two younger servants sat near me to keep my company.

Habakkut stood at the doors as the crowd of people and dignitaries piled in; each of them eager to see the brand new king and his wise resolution. It was the first time Titus had to face a trial as big as this.

"Send them in" he announced.

The heavy doors of the room opened and reveal two women in simple clothing. They stepped in timidly and bowed at the king's feet; behind them was a guard who held a restless babe in his arms. I was at the edge of my seat, eager to take a look.

"Name and business" his voice echoed through the spacious room. He looked sinister and hidden; no one dared mess with him; I tied to match his stance as he looked forward to face the crowds.

"We each had a baby just this past month. I laid mine in a crib and slept separate from him, as not to kill him. She was irresponsible and slept beside her babe every night. I had warned her many times to not do this but she refused to listen" the blonde lady explained.