CHAPTER 1 - NEW TIMES

A Year Later
365 days later

The first thing I remember once I had woken up was the suns rays that were peeking through the gaps of the white blinds, hitting my face as I lay on a bed that was not mine.

Fear took over me as I attempted to sit up, however, in an instant, my head began to throb as if I had an extreme hangover. I do not remember drinking? Wait... What even happened?

Soon, my fear turned into panic and frustration as I held onto my forehead, trying to recall the events that happened before. I looked at my frail body as there were needles in my hand and in various areas of my body, bruises and cuts were everywhere. The rest of them were covered by the cast on my right leg and the other for my arm.

My thoughts were interrupted as a man in a white cloak/overcoat walked into the room, carrying a clipboard. A doctor.

"There's no point in trying to remember because..." He said before sighing, "You have amnesia." Once he had said those final words, I looked straight up at him.

"But- What happened? Why?" I asked to no avail, trying my hardest to remember what had happened before while looking at the doctors badge.

Francis Orlando

"You were found on a motorway. The analyst said that the cause is unknown so nobody knows what happened to you. A gentleman saved your life when he found you on the motorway. If he didn't he bring you here, you would have suffered from brain hemorrhage." He answered blankly as he pointed to the piece of paper on my side table.

Why would I go to the motorway? Where even is it? The more I find out, the more questions I have, most of them have no answer.

"He left that for you." He said while writing on the clipboard and sending in some nurses to check my vitals.

Shaking my head for a moment, I looked at Dr. Francis before speaking.

"How long was I unconscious for?" I said whilst rubbing my knuckles which had bandages on.

He looked at me with a hint of pity.

"A year and a half." He replied, "The man who saved you paid for your medical treatment." I looked at the paper before grabbing it in a rush.

"Thank you." I said as a wave of numbed pain overwhelms me. A year? Really? What happened and why- what did I do?

My thoughts were interrupted as he smiled before nodding.

"I'll take my leave then." He said, taking his clipboard with him as he adjusted his glasses.

As soon as the staff left, I looked around and realised that there were no other patients in this ward. Could this be a private hospital?

Shaking my head, I looked at my side table before running my fingers against it and then against the covers that I had. Sighing, I stopped trying to remember what happened as I clung onto the piece of paper my saviour had left.