Shrink

"It sounds to me like you have jumped into relationship after relationship and never really spent time alone" the shrink adjusted her glasses and peered at me through the tortoise frames

"I guess. I mean I've had a few boyfriends. I've never really been single for long "

"Your mental health needs some work. When's the last time you did something for yourself Brooke?"

"What to do you mean?" I looked at her puzzled

She shut her notes in front of her "What I am about to say, you are not going to like. I recommend you take some time for yourself. You aren't in a place right now to give much to this relationship and in the end Niall is just going to resent you for taking and not giving. It's my honest opinion that you need to take a pause on your relationship and connect again with yourself."

"A pause?" I laughed

"You need to tell him that right now your not in a position to be in a relationship that's not destructive and damaging. You guys were good in the beginning because you were clear on what you wanted and you were happy. But since the kidnapping. You haven't been happy and you've had a real problem with identity. Again, I know it's not what you want to hear but if you love Niall you will let him go so that you don't continue to put him in toxic situations."

"You think that I need to break up with Niall?" I stared at her in confusion.

"Very much so. You can't love someone else when you don't love yourself. It will end. It's just a matter of time. But if you take me advice you still have a shot of a healthy relationship with him in the future."

"I can't break up with him. I love him"

She took a deep breath and took my hand "That is even more reason to do it. Is your relationship healthy? Answer honestly."

"Well.... not lately" I trailed off. "We've been fighting a lot lately."

"And when you fight. What do you fight about Brooke?"

"Alcohol. Drugs. Harry, lately. Shit I'm a mess." A wind chime sound echoed throughout the room and I leaned down on the floor to slip my iPhone out of my Louis Vuitton bag, Nialls picture scrolled across the screen.

"Brooke, take some time for you. Go to a resort. Take a long trip. You need time to heal, away from Niall. Otherwise you will keep carrying these problems back into the relationship" she crossed her legs and pointed to the watch on her wrist. "Instead of coming back here next week. Why don't you take a trip and we can Skype our next session. I really want to see you take this advice seriously." She handed me a pamphlet to a resort in Paris, Her heels clacked on the floor as she exited the room.

I walked past the glass doors and out into the cold. This was my third session with Dr. Jenkins. She had made me see that over the last few months I had gone through so much that I had lost my own identity. Niall had been cleaning up my messes. I know he did it because he loved me but she was right eventually he would resent me.