46. Chapter - Towards my Future

VICTOR's POV  

I threw the newspapers away, a dull pain throbbing behind my eyes

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

I threw the newspapers away, a dull pain throbbing behind my eyes. This was beyond fucked up. The number of articles and news reports going on about this was insane. It had been a week already, and the world still lived on this news as if its life depended on it.

I was deadly tired of it all. After my enormous announcement on the television, the paparazzi swarmed around me every time I left the hotel. I was glad I postponed moving-in to my new house because just the imagination of them standing in front of the house and waiting for any chance to bother me was disgusting. It would be the worst way to settle down in a new environment.

Sighing, I looked at the minibar longingly, hating the fact I had to be on my way in the next five minutes. The thing I needed the most right about now was a drink. But I wouldn't be able to get one until evening, and it was driving me crazy. There was nothing better than having a glass of fine scotch when you were feeling like shit.

I put on my jacket and grabbed the files I finished during the night. There was a big meeting with the executive board of Edwards' company, and we were supposed to come to an agreement concerning the merger. Dealing with the board, with Alison's father by their side, was the last thing on my wish list for today, but if I wanted to keep to my plan and make it work, there was no way around it.

Walking out of the room, I came face to face with Nelson. He looked even worse than me, and I couldn't suppress the chuckle coming out of my mouth. Unlike me, he decided it was a good idea to go clubbing instead of getting a night of good sleep for the negotiations, and he looked just as bad as I had imagined.

"Good morning," I said, glad there is at least one other person who feels shitty – even though for a completely different reason.

"Don't enjoy it too much," he grumbled, walking down the corridor with me.

"Man, what a night. Why didn't you stop me? I came back two hours ago." Whining, he stepped into an elevator, pressing the ground floor.

"Don't put the blame on me, Nels. You knew what was on the agenda today. I stayed in the room, restrained myself and had only two glasses in the evening. That says a lot. You knew how important it was and you knew you would be coming with me. If you feel like shit, that's your problem. I don't feel too good myself, but seeing you makes it better." I grinned, feeling like everything would be better than I thought once I got a huge cup of coffee and something sweet in my system.

***

The meeting was shorter than I expected. We were done after five hours with a positive outcome, and Alison's father wasn't as big of an asshole as I remembered. It might have been because he knew what I was planning and liked the idea as much as I did, but based on the expressions and words from others present, the proposal I prepared was almost excellent and would assure me the same outcome either way. I was good at what I did. That much, I knew.