23. Chapter - The Files

VICTOR's POV

Sitting in my hotel room, I couldn't tear my eyes away from the files on the table in front of me. I still couldn't get over the fact the bastard made me sign a contract about the marriage, but he knew very well how to force me into it. There was no way I would let him just walk away when I found out he had Oliver investigated all those years ago. Seeing how thick the folder was, I was curious even before he let me take a peek inside. After looking inside, it was a done deal. Especially when I saw there were many weird looking medical records and analyses.

Now, I was officially screwed. I agreed to the wedding by putting my signature on the fucking paper, and there was no way out, unless I wanted to lose my job and standing. Moreover, as I found out from Alison yesterday night, when I got back, she had to agree as well, though she refused to tell me why. To put it simply, there was no way out of this predicament for either of us, so we were as good as married, even though the actual ceremony would be next month.

Sighing, I leaned back, staring at the white ceiling. I had the files since yesterday night, but I wasn't brave enough to look inside yet. Which was a bit irritating considering I've just sold my soul to the devil for it.

Turing my eyes towards the table, I took a deep breath. There was no way I was going to act like a pussy for another minute. Grabbing the folder with unnecessary force, I opened it, my eyes automatically reading over the first few words. It was now or never.

*****

It was past seven in the evening when Nelson decided to show up. I was sitting in the same chair as before, and the only change in the scenery was the mess on the table and the half-finished glass of scotch next to me. There was just no way I could've read the files to the end without the help of alcohol. I figured as much after finishing the first one.

"Hey, what's up? I haven't seen you since yesterday! Are you-" he started, but when his eyes landed on the glass and the mess of papers I made on the table, the voice got stuck in his throat.

Laughing bitterly, I took one stack of documents and threw it at him, waiting for his reaction after reading it. I was sure he would have a lot to say about it, but the silence that followed proved me wrong. It looked as if he was reading through it more than once, and even after finishing it for whatever time it was, the bewilderment written all over his face didn't disappear.

"What the hell is this? Are you into sci-fi now or what?" he asked after a while, his eyebrows furrowed in a deep scowl.

"These are medical records, over five years old." I took a swig of the drink and looked at him blankly. I could practically see the wheels in Nels' head turning. Reading through the papers one more time, his expression changed from confused one to shocked one in a span of few seconds.

"Are you trying to tell me there's an actual possibility a man can get pregnant now? 'Cause that's what it seems like based on these papers, and it's honestly pretty fucked up. How could a man get pregnant, Vic? Dude, that's impossible. No matter how you look at it, it's not happening. No way. How would you even create a womb inside a body that is not made to have one? Damn, I think I feel sick," he threw the papers back on the table, going over to the couch. Sitting down, he leaned against the headrest, probably in attempts to make himself feel better again. The color in his face was unusually pale, his eyes staring at me as if I've gone mad.

Sighing, I rubbed my eyes tiredly, emptying the glass in one go. I reacted almost identically all those hours ago, so I couldn't really blame him for his disbelieve.

"Looks like it is possible. I was thinking the same thing so I looked it up, and it's true. It's not even a secret or anything. It was an experiment that started almost 10 years ago, and based on these papers, Oliver was one of the first guinea pigs that took a part in it." I stood up, going towards the big window that overlooked the harbor. The sun was just setting, and the lights in the streets started to light up. It would be calming and beautiful sight if it wasn't for the circumstances.