3. Chapter - Matthias

The day was finally over

The day was finally over. Thank God. It wasn't that I hated my job and couldn't help but get out of there. No, I loved it with every fiber of my body. Why wouldn't I when the shop was mine, and no one was constantly standing behind my back, scolding me all the time. It was just that sometimes it got too intense. Over the years, I found out the busiest days were Tuesdays and Fridays, and because today was Tuesday, I was worn out and ready to soak my skin in a hot bath, letting the stress flow away.

"Finally, the day's over!" yelled Dylan, jumping at the counter I just finished cleaning, grinning like an idiot. I had an urge to smack him for that because I would have to clean it all over again, but I couldn't find it in me to ruin his good mood. As I said, Tuesdays were extremely hectic, so we all were always happy when it was over.

"What are your plans for tomorrow?" I asked, slapping his shoulder to chase him off the counter.

"I'm meeting with Jenna, of course. What else would I do? My love life would be disastrous without these days off between my shifts. Thank you, Oli, for your creativity and clever brain," he said, jumping off the counter and laughing when I threw a wet cloth at him.

"Shut up, you prick! Don't try me, or I'll give you so much work you will drop dead by the end of next week!" I growled, fetching a clean cloth and wiping the counter all over again.

"As if! You would rather take all of the shifts before giving us one extra." He laughed again, and I had to join him because he was right. I loved my employees too much to burden them like that. It might sound unbelievable for some people, but we were all friends here, and no hard feelings were ever involved. It was a given though. We all knew each other for quite a long time, and just the idea of me acting like one of those asshole bosses out there made me sick.

Me, Dylan, Melanie, Lindsey, and Finley met in one of the cooking courses I was attending when I moved to Boston. After I got the offer to buy this shop, I told them about it, and they agreed to help me. Not one of them ever doubted this crazy idea of opening a new Coffee shop. And as for my relationship with Charlie, it wasn't as complicated and crazy as someone might have thought. The way we met each other wasn't ideal, and it was emotional on many levels, but we got through it and became great friends. The enemy of my enemy is my friend. The saying was right.

After I broke up with Victor and got all of my things from his apartment, which was, to put it lightly, hell, I moved in with my brother for a few months. Normally, I would have rented my own place, but as I had to change my job because I didn't want Victor to bother me anymore, I didn't earn as much as before and couldn't afford it. I got a new job in a restaurant near my brother's place, and after taking some time to recover, I started to work there as a waiter a few weeks after the horrible break up.

My first day in the new work was great. I already had some experience thanks to my work in the night club, so I didn't need to learn as much as other newcomers, and I generally liked working with people. But the owner still wanted to make sure I was shown how it worked around there from the scratch, so he asked one of his long-term part-timers to guide me. He wasn't there the first day, so I didn't really care and did whatever I thought was right. When I came in the day after and the boss introduced us, I couldn't move for 5 minutes, desperately wishing the ground could swallow me up. Thanks to some wicked twist of fate, Charlie was standing in front of me, mouth hanging open, eyes wide and ready to bolt the minute I moved, same as me. It was not one of our best days. I almost quit immediately after that, not being able to imagine working with someone who ruined my relationship, but his words, after he collected himself, stopped me and made me realize the truth.