8. Chapter - Tell Him Why

I had a headache

I had a headache. Alison was driving me crazy with her nonstop babbling, and the piles of papers on my office desk weren't making it any better. This was supposed to be a short business trip, but it looked like I was going to have to stay much longer. Instead of five days, a few months seemed more probable, and I was not really keen on it. I wanted to go back to California and enjoy my vacation there. Even the fucking room I was in right now was starting to drive me crazy because I knew it meant work. The office just chanted work, work, work from its every corner, wall, and every piece of furniture in it.

"Alison, shut up! I need to finish this shit if I want to get home earlier than by midnight!" I growled, taking a few of the papers and looking through them. I groaned. This was going to take forever to finish, and there was more to come tomorrow.

"Aw, don't be mad, honey. We didn't see each other for such a long time, and now that I'm here you are going to ignore me?" she said, feigning being hurt. As I mentioned before, we were together only because of a business deal, so our relationship had nothing to do with love. If I had to somehow describe our relationship, it would be friends. And the bitch took advantage of it to no end.

"Alison, I am tired, and I need to finish all of this." I motioned towards the pile of papers, giving her a meaningful look. "You can either help me or leave. We can go for a drink tomorrow or some other night." I tried to play it nicely because even though she could be irritating as hell, I still loved the woman. She was beautiful and smart and could be funny and snarky if she wanted to. There was one problem though. She was a bitch that enjoyed driving people mad just to see their reactions and not many people had nerves for that.

After a minute of complete silence and her curious eyes digging holes into mine, her expression changed.

I was fucked.

"What's wrong?" she asked, and I had to suppress the groan that threatened to escape my lips when I realized my mistake. I totally forgot one of her other annoying 'talents'. She could always tell something happened. Alison and Nelson were the only people on Earth who were capable of that if I didn't count Oliver, who was much better than either of them. He could always tell what was wrong, which, luckily, my friends couldn't. They just knew something happened.

"Nothing, I just want to finish this as quickly as I can and return to California. I had plans, and my father decided to ruin them just because he could," I said, not looking at her and continuing to stare into the paper in my hand. I wasn't lying, not exactly. I just didn't tell her the whole truth.

"Bullshit. Spill or I will take all those documents you have to check and throw them out the window. Have you been outside since you got here? The wind today is quite strong, Vic." She smiled her sweetest smile and crossed her legs. God, couldn't she ignore her inner voice or whatever shit it was that told her something was wrong for once? I would definitely appreciate it once in a while because, although it was great you couldn't really lie to your friends, I wanted to keep some shit to myself sometimes. And doing that was not easy with Alison. Nelson would cave from time to time and let it go, but this witch? Never did she let me off the hook. Never.