2. Chapter - Gay Bar

Going on a business trip in the middle of my planned vacation was fucked up

Going on a business trip in the middle of my planned vacation was fucked up. Who the hell, in their right mind, would do this to anyone?

Apparently, my father would.

I knew he was still in a higher position than me and could persuade the Board of Directors to fire me – with him being the chairman and all that - but I was his son, for God's sake. He could at least leave me alone for the two weeks I was supposed to spend in California and relax. I hadn't been on a vacation for the whole year. I was looking forward to having nothing to do for some time, just lazing around, drinking and enjoying life. But no, my father decided it was a good idea to send me on a fucking business trip in the middle of it. And to Boston on top of that. He sent me over the whole damn continent to help with our office that was having trouble with making a profit.

"I fucking hate him!" I grumbled and flopped into the chair that was standing near the window. I was currently in my hotel room in Boston Harbor Hotel, drinking a beer and mumbling curses under my breath because of this shitty situation when Nelson came inside with a big grin on his face.

"Stop it, that's just disgusting!" His smile widened even more after my words, and he plopped down right next to me on the other chair. He decided to come to Boston with me because we were supposed to spend time in California together, and he refused to stay there alone. Where's the fun in that, he said.

Right.

I was starting to think he came with me just because he wanted to mock me all the time.

Nelson Peterson was my best friend and CFO in my father's company, Nemara Inc. Our families had known each other for more than 40 years, and it was natural for us to become friends. My father studied at the same university as his father, and they became great friends over the years. I and Nelson ended up in a similar situation as our families lived near each other and spent a lot of free time together. We became friends quite quickly and by middle school, we were joined at the hip, giving our parents headaches from all the antics we did.

In high school, we decided to attend the same university so we wouldn't have to separate our ways. It was hard for both of us because the university we chose was so far from our reach we were afraid we would not get in. The acceptance rate for Harvard was extremely low after all. But both of us studied like madmen, attending lectures and spending all of our free time buried in textbooks, and even though it looked a bit hopeless for a while, it paid off. We got in. The rough time wasn't over after that, though. To be more precise, it was quite the opposite. There were a few times I was so close to being kicked out it was a miracle I wasn't. It was too much to handle from time to time. But Nels was always there to punch me in the face (literally) and make me realize what I wanted in life and what I needed to do to get it. 

He was there for me even when I realized I was attracted more to boys than to girls. I was so petrified at that time that I spent my days drunk and high, sleeping with every woman that was willing to put up with me in that condition. I wanted to change my body and mind to like only women even though I knew it was impossible.