pg 26

The next day I woke to Cathy and Charles by my side.

"Good morning sweetie." She says rubbing my hand.

"How are you doing kiddo?" Charles asked placing his hand on Cathy's shoulder. "I'm fine, just a little sore that's all. Can I....can I have some water?" Cathy gets up and pours me a glass of water.

"Listen Leah, me and Cathy have been thinking this for a while now and because of what happened last night we have made up our minds."

"What?"

"We think it'll be best if you leave the pack and be with your own kind. It's not safe for a human girl to be in a pack of wolves." He says. I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

"It's a little too late for that don't you think!" I say sitting up.

"Leah listen I know it sounds bad but it'll be for the best. Remember when you were younger you always wanted to meet others like yourself?" Cathy joins in.

"What about you two? Am I supposed to forget you and start a new life with strangers? Besides where would I go?"

"We have human friends outside the border that will gladly accept you Leah. You'll go to a good college, get a good education." She continues trying to convince me.

"I don't know." I whisper. Looking down at my hands I trace small circles into the sheet. A knock comes from the door and all three of us look up. In walks the Doctor Ochoa.

"How are you?" He places his hand on my forehead and then checks the heart monitor. "I'm fine." I answer.

"When can she be released and come home?" Charles asks. How can he ask such a thing, when I get home they both plan to ship me off to another family anyway?

"She seems to be recovering alright. But I advise one more night and she'll be able to go home." They agree.

"We'll be back in the morning to get you." Cathy says. She kisses my cheek and Charles pats my shoulder. I just wanted to sleep and not have to think about anything.

Another knock comes from the door and I sigh. "Come in."

The door opens and in walks Camila. I lift up shocked to see her. "Camila?"

She walks in with a bouquet of flowers. "How are you doing?" She asked standing a few feet from the bed.

"I'm fine thank you...what, what are you doing here?"

"Did Randi visit you last night?"

"No, but Zayne did."

She steps closer and sits down on the bed. "Can I ask you something?"

"Are you and Zayne a couple?"

She laughs lightly, "Come on you can tell me. I can keep a secret." She says placing a finger to her crimson stained lips.

"So...what is it?"

"Honestly I don't know." I say. It wasn't a complete lie I really didn't know.

"Do you like him?"

I was definitely falling for Zayne. "He's pretty hot." I smile.

"He is." She agrees.

"Now can I ask you a question?" I say. "Do you ever think about your real mate?" Camila's demeanor quickly changes. She lets out a sigh and walks to the window.

"You might hate me for this and I understand clearly because if I were in your position I would hate me too. But please know that.... Randi and I have a great love for each other, and we can't live without one another."

"You honestly believe that?"

"I do." She says with a look in her eyes that she truly felt it. "We're still going by the promise we made each other years back, that we wouldn't part no matter if we found our real mates. I think you and Zayne, if he doesn't find his mate would be perfect together." She says causing me to blush but I shake my head. "Zayne really wants his mate and I wouldn't want to take that away from him or her."

"Yeah, I guess you're right.

Well I have to go."

"Bye."