Chapter 28: Cheeseburgers and Death

"When did she started showing the first symptoms" Scott's mom asked. Everyone was quiet so I figured that I should say it.

"After her date with Derek I think" I responded.

"Where did you two go?" She asked.

"We went to that Italian place downtown" Derek responded. I heard Peter sigh.

"You are such a moron" Peter said. 

"What why?" Derek asked confused.

"You are in a battle over her with an Italian family and you figure that going to a new Italian restaurant is a smart thing?" Peter answered "Moron" 

"You think they poisoned her?" Derek asked "But they want her alive"

"Maybe it was meant for you" I said. "Did she ate anything that was actually for you?"

"No, She did stole some bites from me" Derek said.

"So they either forgot that most poisons don't work on us or you're gonna die" Peter stated. "I like these odds"

"There is nothing to be joking around Peter" Derek said angry. "Why are you even here, I thought you didn't like Melody"

"I like Melody"Peter said sounding insulted "Yeah she's an absolute moron and she has the best luck because we all know that she definitely should be dead right now, But I like her"

"Take that back" Derek hissed  "She shouldn't die, she is a good person"

"Don't fiiightt!" I yelled.

"We're not fighting" Derek said with what sounded like an sarcastic undertone.

"No fighting next to my dying sister" I said and started crying. I heard someone stand up and some walking. Then, I felt Derek hugged me.

"She'll be fine Madison" He whispered "She won't die"

"You'd better make sure of that" I whispered back "Are you gonna stay here tonight?"

"I think I am" Derek said. 

"Can I stay too?" I asked.

"You can both stay If you like" Scott's mom said.

* * *

"So she's actually awake?" I asked and sat down next to her on the bed.

"I guess she is" Derek responded.

"Melodyyy?" I said and attempted to wave in front of her face. But I failed and accidentally hit her.

"Slapping her isn't gonna wake her up" Derek said. I stuck out my tongue and jumped down from the bed. And sat in my chair. 

"Here" Derek said and handed me what felt like a cheeseburger. I immediately took a bite out of it which caused the entire burger to break and disobey the laws of physics. Long story short, I know have cheeseburger all over my clothes.

"I see you know how to eat a cheeseburger" Derek said and most likely tried to fix my burger."We'll get you some new clothing and-"

"Derek" I said cutting him off "Would you bite Melody if it could save her?"

He was quiet for a second or two and then responded "I would, But only if it's certain that she'll die" 

"But what if it's too late then?" I asked.

"Do you want me to turn your sister?" 

"Yes"