Book 1: Chapter 1

Chapter 1: A funny name

"I would like to start with saying thank y'all for coming here today. I know it means a lot to our little survivors." the man said as he stood in the middle of the circle that was formed by all the cancer survivors and their family members or friends. 

"Okay, so we are gonna do a little introduction. The survivors already know each other but we don't know who they persuaded to tag along." the man said laughing at his own joke. "So I'll start with myself. My name is Dwight. I grew up in Texas. My mother died of lung cancer which made me start this job. Hmm... Let's see... What else is there? Oh right my hobbies! Well, I like fishing, hunting, swimming and walking with my dogs. Okay so the next person... I nominate Madison's friend."

Why do these things always happen to me?

"My name is Melody-" I said but got interrupted by the entire group saying "Hi Melody." 

"Right... Okay... I though that was just a stereotype but okay... Eh... This is my little sister Madison. I grew up in Rotterdam but Madison grew up here in Beacon Hills."

The man kept smiling at me and nodding me to go on while I was actually pretty much done talking.

"So what do you do for a living and what are your hobbies?" he asked eventually. 

"I don't do anything for a living since I still live with my parents and I like reading." I answered.

"You don't do anything else then reading in your free time?" he said in shock.

"I kind of take care of Madison in my free time, she needs help with a lot of stuff that my mother or John doesn't help her with." 

"Oh... Right... Okay! So, next person... Sasha's friend." he said quickly changing the subject.

Boy do I love making people feel uncomfortable.

My little sister Madison was born blind. I have pretty much helped her since she was born because my mother was always working or finding a new husband and giving attention to that new husband. And frankly I couldn't care less what she was doing. All I want to do is study so I can get out of this little town and make something of my life. And bring Madison along of course.

Anyway, my mother made Madison go to this survivor group even though Madison hasn't survived anything special. She wasn't a cancer survivor, she was just born blind. The only thing she survived is our mother and well, that nightmare isn't over yet.

After the longest three hours of my life, filled with 'team excersises', we were finally allowed to leave. I was very thankful for that.

I helped Madison in my car and started to drive. 

"Mom wants to talk to you." Madison said after a while.

"How do you know that?" I asked looking over at her. She was staring in front of her like she always does.

"I heard her say it to John. Something about guests coming over tonight." she started to reach out for the radio.

If my mother really wants to talk to me that means I'm screwed. Especially if we have guests coming over. It could either mean that I have to play 'perfect daughter' or that I have to go upstairs and hide. I prefer option two.

"Do you know who?" I asked her.

"No, but he has a funny name." she said chuckling. 

"He is a he? Well at least we now know the sex." I said and Madison started laughing.