Chapter 10

The rest of the week is uneventful and before I know it its Saturday. I plan to spend the day in bed with ice cream, chocolate, and anything else that’s sweet. Why? One word: Cramps. I hate this time of the month. It makes me want to curl up in a ball and disappear.

Right now I’m doing just that. I’m curled up in a ball on my bed, completely covered up by my blanket. My Pops is knocking on the door, but I feel too weak to respond to the knocking.

“Ivy-Reece.” My father finally just comes in. “Are you okay?”

I don’t respond and he comes over and lifts the blanket from on top of my head.

“What’s wrong baby girl?”

“I’m a woman,” I say, looking right in his eyes, “That’s what’s wrong.”

My father’s eyes grow wide and he starts backing out of the room.

“Okay then. Do…Do you need anything?”

“No Daddy. I’m fine.”

“It’s three o’clock in the afternoon VeeRee and you’ve been in bed all day. You’re not fine. Tell me if you need something and I’ll take care of it.

“I said I don’t need anything Pops. Just go.”

“So would you like me to tell the gentleman downstairs to go home?”

Now that catches my attention.

“Gentleman?” I say popping up from under the blanket.

“Yeah. I think he said his name is Delante.”

What?

“Do you mean DeAndre?”

“Yeah! Yeah, that’s it.”

“Umm, actually, Pops. Could you maybe send him up here?”

“Up here?”

“Yeah. To my room.”

“I don’t know about that Ivy-Reece…”

“Pops! I’m on my period! You really think we’re gonna do something nasty?”

“Oh! Goodness VeeRee. Please stop being so blunt with me.”

“Then stop acting like such an over protective father.”

“Okay. I’ll go get him.”

“Thank you.”

My pops leaves the room and I hop out of my bed and run into the bathroom that’s adjoining to my room. I open my medicine cabinet, find the aspirin bottle and I quickly swallow one aspirin to ease the monster cramps. I then pull my hair back into a tight bun and try to smooth the wrinkles out of my black tank top and gray basketball shorts. I hear a knock on my bedroom door and rush to open it.