Chapter 21

This is tough. Walking into school without DeAndre by side for the first time in three months is much more difficult and emotional then I imagined it’d be. I feel like everyone is watching me. DeAndre is gone now. He left the day after he told me. Which was yesterday. He called me and I spoke to him, but I couldn’t bring myself to actually go and see him off. I did however promise him that I would stay in contact with Marcella. She’s still living there in the apartment. He wanted her to go with him to California but she can’t afford to leave her job right now.

So here I am, walking down the halls of this school, all by myself. By now, everyone knows about DeAndre going to the basketball minor leagues. He posted a status on Facebook about it, but he didn’t say anything related to me. Even though people were commenting and asking questions pertaining to our relationship. So everyone is staring at me, looking like they want to pounce on me and ask a million questions, but they don’t. I know they won’t confront me about it. They can probably figure it out even though I haven’t said anything on Facebook or Twitter. I mean, I look like Hell and death. This is one of the times I wish I wore makeup…

“Ivy-Reece! Ivy-Reece!” I hear Niecy coming towards me before I actually see her. She materializes next to me and grasps my hand, pulling me down the hall and into the girls’ bathroom.

“Get out bitches!” She screams at the little freshman girls that are in the bathroom. They run out looking scared out of their minds, and Niecy checks in all the stalls before running to the door and locking it. When she’s done being a weirdo she turns around and holds are arms out to me. I run into them and we hug like long-lost sisters. I swear she is the best friend ever. No questions, no comments, just hugs.

“I love you girl. You’re my sister.” She says to me.

“You’re my sister too. I love you.” I tell her.

We pull apart and fix ourselves up in the mirror. Niecy unlocks the door and we walk out like nothing even happened.

“I’d walk you to your class if it wasn’t on the complete opposite side of the school from where I need to be going.” Niecy says.

“It’s okay Niecy,” I assure her, “I can walk to Honors Algebra alone. I’m a big girl.”

“Okay. I’ll see you at lunch.”

We hug one more time and part ways. I turn around and start walking to my algebra class. As I’m walking down the math classes always I realize that this is the first time I’ve ever walked to my first period class alone. I’m normally with DeAndre and before that I’d be with Chase. Now I’m with no one…

My first three classes drag by painfully slow and I feel like my stomach is starting to eat itself by the time 12:45 rolls around and I can go to lunch. It’s so weird when I buy my lunch and try to find somewhere to sit. I know right away that everyone for sure knows that DeAndre and I are no longer together. Since we wanted a little privacy from our friends, DeAndre and I had found an empty table for the two of us. We normally sat at it everyday. People had quickly caught on that it was “our” table. Now our table is occupied. I spot the table DeAndre used to sit at and see all of his best friends; Randy, Marcus, Trey and Tony.