Chapter 3

I wake up on Monday morning, momentarily confused at my surroundings. Then I remember everything that happened yesterday, and a huge smile spreads across my face at the thought of seeing Chase today.

I quickly get up and brush my teeth. I run back into my room and put on my black capris, white halter top, and black & white Jordans. I decide to leave my curly black hair down, letting it cascade around my shoulders. I pick up my bag and head downstairs to eat something before I go to school.

"Morning Pops." I say to him as I come into the huge, spacious kitchen.

"Hey baby girl. Hurry up and eat. I've got a surprise for you before you go to school."

"Alright..." I say, wondering what it could possibly be. I wolf down some frosted flakes, not realizing how hungry I was.

 "All done Pops. Can I have my surprise now?"

"Okay," he says grinning, "Close your eyes."

I close my eyes and feel my Pops tie a blindfold over my face.

"You don't trust I'll keep my eyes closed Pops?" I say teasingly.

"Just to be safe VeeRee." He says, laughing.

He leads me through a door, and I can tell we're outside by the wind blowing through my hair.

"Okay. On the count of three, take off your blindfold. Got it?" my Pops orders me.

"Got it." I say.

"One..... Two...... Three!!" He says, stepping away from me.

I tear off my blindfold and see a gleaming, cherry red Porsche sitting in the driveway.

"Pops...Is that....for me?" I say breathlessly.

"Let’s consider this a late birthday gift," he says referring to my 16th birthday which was 2 weeks ago.

"Thank you soooo soo so much Daddy!" I exclaim. "This is amazing!"

"No problem VeeRee," he says, taking me into his arms, "You deserve this and so much more after what you've had to endure these past couple years. I love you Little Trooper. Now get to school." he tells me, nudging me towards the car.

I run to the car and hop in, appreciating the new car smell that surrounds me.

~*~

As I pull into the parking lot at my new school, I start to laugh at the stares and glares my new car is bringing me. I pull into a parking space and slowly get out, basking in all the attention I'm getting.

As I walk to the front door of the school, a girl with caramel-colored skin and a long black weave runs up to me.

"Hey you! Is that your car?"

"Yeah," I say proudly, "Why?"

"It's so amazing! Aye...are you new?" She questions me.

"Have you seen me before today?"

"No..."

"Then there's the answer to your question." I say, already walking away.

"Hey! Wait up!!" she says, catching up to me. "I'm Janice, but everyone calls me Niecy."

"Nice to meet you Niecy," I say, deciding to be nice, "I'm Ivy-Reece."

"Your name is beautiful... Do you need any help getting to your first class?"

I'm just about to answer her when I feel a masculine arm drape around my shoulder.

"Thanks for offering Niecy, but I've got this."