Chapter 28

*Minor sexual scene at the end. Nothing explicit.

"Wake up! Wake up! Wake up!"

I open my eyes to Ebony jumping up and down on my bed, nudging me not so gently.

"I'm up Ebony! I'm up!"

Ebony puts her face real close to mine and screams, "Happy birthday Ivy-Reece!!"

I want to be mad at her for waking me up and screaming in my face, but she looks so excited.

"Thanks Babes." I smile at her.

"C'mon! Get up, take a shower, and make yourself look presentable then come downstairs. I'm making breakfast."

I feel like the luckiest girl in the world as I hop into the shower. Ebony is making breakfast for me and she has to be the greatest cook to ever live. I haven't had her cooking since I moved to Richmond.

I step out of the shower and get dressed for the day, putting on a pair of high-waisted shorts, a white tank top, which I tuck into my shorts, and a pair of white sandals.

Simple yet cute.

I walk downstairs into the dining room and am very surprised at what I see. Chase, Dylan, Mr. and Mrs. Matthews, Ebony, my dad, and DeAndre's older sister Marcella are all seated around the table. A delicious looking breakfast of chocolate chip pancakes, scrambled eggs, bacon, and freshly squeezed orange juice is in the center. I take the last available seat which is in between Chase and Marcella.

"What is everyone doing here?" I ask, shocked.

"Ebony invited us and we just couldn't say no." Dylan explains, never taking his eyes off Ebony, who he's sitting right next to.

My Pops, who's sitting at the head of the table while Mr. Matthews is sitting at the other head, stands up.

"Thank you all for joining us for breakfast on this very special day. Thank you to Ebony for cooking this scrumptious looking breakfast, and most importantly thank you to Ivy-Reece for being the best daughter I could ever have for 17 consecutive years. I love you baby girl."

"Happy birthday Ivy-Reece!" Everyone at the table echoes.

"Thank you everyone. I love you too Pops." I say happily.

Everyone digs in and puts food on their plate. The mood in the room is calm and the conversation light as everyone enjoys their meal.

"How are you?" Marcella asks me quietly.

My wide eyes snap to meet her curious ones.

"I'm good." I say honestly, "What about you?"

"I'm hanging in there. I miss my brother terribly but my job here is just too good to leave. It's a blessing I was able to get it without a college degree. I might not have the same grace of God in California."

"I actually talked to him, your brother." I can't say his name. It feels too weird.

"Really? When?" Marcella sounds a little surprised.

"Last week. He called me."

"That's good to hear." She smiles at me.

"What are you two whispering about over there?" Chase whispers into my ear.

"Oh nothing baby. Just catching up ya know?" I murmur back to him.

Chase nods and kisses my cheek.

"Refrain from the PDA during breakfast please dearies." Mrs. Matthews says in a sing-song voice.

Chase blushes and I bite my lip.