Chapter 4

A week later and I’m loving Richmond. I know, who would’ve thought, huh? I’ve been spending a lot of time with Niecy and these other three girls Jasmine, Natasha, and Alicia.

I’ve also been hanging out with DeAndre and Chase. In fact, I’m about to go to the mall with Chase right now. Sadly, we aren’t going alone. We’re going with some of his football friends and their cheerleader girlfriends. Yay!! Not. I’m definitely not looking forward to that part of this little outing.

All of a sudden, I hear a knock at my door.

“Yeah?” I call.

“VeeRee,” my Pops says through the door, “Chase is here.”

“Alright.” I say, opening the door and heading downstairs.

“Wait, VeeRee.” My dad says, following me downstairs.

“Yes Pops?”

“Do you need money?”

 “Nope. I’m covered.” I say with a smile.

“Really? How?” He asks me suspiciously.

“I save money Pops. I’m fine.”

“Ok,” he says reluctantly.

“Ready to go?” I say, turning to Chase.

“Yeah.” He says, practically killing me with his breath-taking smile.

Chase leads me outside to his truck and opens the door for me.

“Hmmm…quite the gentlemen, are we?” I tease him.

“I try.” He says, blushing deep red, making me laugh at how adorable he looks.

~*~

As we pull up to the mall and start heading to the door, I see two other football players from school standing next to two averaged-height white girls with dyed-blonde hair, too much mascara, and too short skirts, a.k.a. Cheerleaders. Just the sight of them makes me throw up a little in my mouth.

“You okay?” Chase asks me with a voice full of concern.

“Yeah. I’m fine.” I tell him, plastering a fake smile on my face.

“Hey Chase!” one of his friends, Brandon... I think, says to him.

“What’s up Jordan?” Chase says back.

Hmmm… guess I was wrong.

“Who are you?” one of the girls rudely asks me.

All I can do is give her a blank stare.  I can’t believe she actually thinks she’s worthy of even knowing my name. 

“Uhh… She asked you a question.” The other girl says, smirking at me.

I feel my grip on Chase’s hand tighten as my anger rises.

“Annabelle, Regina…Chill the fuck out.” Chase says so firmly I feel myself jump a little in surprise.

“Sorry Chase.” They say in unison, making me roll my eyes.

We all walk into the mall, and the guys lead us straight to the food court. We grab something to eat from McDonald’s and sit a table.

“O-M-GEEE!! I know who you are now!” The girl named Regina practically screeches. “You’re that new girl who’s always hanging out with DeAndre Jones!”

I feel Chase tense next to me.

“Oh yeah! You hang out with Niecy too! Right?” Annabelle asks me.