Chapter 19

Three months. It’s been three months since that crazy mess of a dinner when DeAndre met my father and Chase came and ruined everything. So I thought. It turns out my father didn’t really mind the fact that DeAndre punched Chase. Chase did hit him first after all.

Speaking of Chase; it’s also been three months since I’ve so much as uttered a syllable to him. He tried to talk to me that next day in school but I gave him the cold shoulder. I was beyond pissed at him. I was absolutely livid! For the first two months I stayed angry. Whenever his name was mentioned I just wanted to punch a wall, or better yet, punch his face. However, this past month my feelings have cooled off. Now whenever he’s brought up I feel nothing. Not anger, not sadness, just…nothing; an empty numbness.

Things with DeAndre are wonderful though! He treats me like I’m a freaking princess. His relationship with my father has grown immensely, just as my relationship with Marcella has. Plus, he’s hilarious. I’ve always told myself that any boyfriend I have has to be funny. DeAndre definitely meets that standard.

Today is actually a very special day. It’s DeAndre and I’s three month anniversary. I’m going over to his house and we’re going to spend the whole day together. Just watching movies and reveling in each other’s presence.

I quickly throw on some basketball shorts, a fitted white tee, and my converse before running out of the house and jumping into my car. My father isn’t home. He had to go into work today but that’s fine with me. I have plans. I pull out of the driveway and cruise to DeAndre’s apartment. 

I decide to stop at Walgreens on the way there for some snacks. I pull into a parking space and call DeAndre. He answers by the third ring.

“Hey baby.” He drawls.

“Hey hun. I stopped at the store for snacks. Do you want anything?”

“Ummm…. Not really, just some M&M’s, Sprite, and barbeque chips.”               

“What happened to ‘not really’?” I laugh at him.

“That’s not much!” He says, laughing with me, “I’ll reimburse you when you get here gorgeous.”

“You don’t have to pay me back. I’m probably not gonna spend more than twenty dollars in here. I’m only at Walgreens.”

“Are you sure?” He asks me, sounding kind of unsure.

“I’m positive DeAndre! Now let me hang up so I can get to you sooner.”

I’m barely finished with my sentence before DeAndre is saying goodbye and hanging up on me.  I laugh and put my phone away. I climb out the car and glance to my right. The car there looks so familiar but I can’t place my finger on where I’ve seen it before. Deciding not to stress about it, I walk into the store and go straight to the candy aisle.

I quickly grab DeAndre’s M&M’s and grab myself a couple Butterfingers. Then I walk to the beverage aisle and get a 2 liter Sprite for DeAndre and a 2 liter Coke for me. My hands are pretty full now and I can’t decide if I want a basket or cart something. Deciding against it, I just go to the snack aisle. I grab DeAndre’s barbeque chips and attempt to grab myself some cheeto puffs. However, as I try to reach for the chips everything falls out of my hands including the sodas. Fortunately, they don’t open. Unfortunately, they will most likely explode when they’re opened. I grab my puffs and run to the front of the store. I grab a basket and run back to where my mess is. As I kneel down to place everything in my basket, someone else kneels down and helps me. When we’re done I look up to express my gratitude but I immediately put my guard up when I see who it is.

“Hey..” He says a little sadly.

Now I know why that car was so familiar. It was Chase’s. For goodness sake, I see it every day in his driveway! I knew I should’ve just gone to the gas station.

“Bye.” I say in the best monotone voice I can manage.

I turn to walk away with my basket in one of my hands when Chase lightly grabs my other hand.

“Please. Just give me one minute to talk to you.”

I look at him and see how rough he looks. That light in his eyes isn’t shining as bright as usual. I actually feel a little bad. I step closer to him and place my hand on his cheek. He leans into my touch.

“Have you been sleeping?” I ask him.

“I guess.” He shrugs.

“You look horrible.”

He looks into my eyes with raised eyebrows; honestly shocked by my blunt statement. Then after a moment he breaks into hysterical laughter. I drop my hand from his cheek and stare at him, only a little amused. He tries to say something to me but fails because of his laughter.

“Well…it’s been fun.” I turn around to walk away again but he grabs my hand again.

I turn around, pretty exasperated  now, and Chase pulls me into a warm embrace. Despite my mind telling me to stop, I let myself melt into his arms; I close my eyes and allow my nose to take in his spicy/sweet scent. For a moment, I want to be friends with him again. Maybe even more than friends, but then he opens his mouth.

“I think I’m in love with you Ivy-Reece.”

My eyes pop open and I wrench myself away from him.

“Goodbye Chase.” I say coolly, turning around and walking to the cash register.

The cashier starts ringing my stuff up and Chase runs up behind me.

“It’s okay if you don’t love me back,”

The cashier glances at him, slightly confused.

“I know you’re in a relationship with DeAndre and I want you to be happy, but I’ll always be here. Just waiting to make my move.”

The cashier chick stops ringing up my items and openly gawks at Chase. She’s a teenage girl who most likely goes to our school.

“Hey!” I snap, “Do your job and close your damn mouth! And you,” I turn on Chase now, “Leave. Me.  Alone!”

“Your total is $14.68. Would you like a receipt?” The girl says in quite a rude tone.

“No. I don’t. Just give me my shit.”

She rolls her eyes at me and gives me my bag. I make a break for it to the door and Chase is right on my heels. I stop suddenly and he runs into my back. I turn around and look at the cashier who’s already looking at me.

“If you want, you can have him.” I nod my head at Chase and send them both sickly sweet smiles before running to my car and getting in, locking the doors right away.

Chase comes running out and tries to open my door. He looks so distraught but I just can’t be weak around him. Whenever I am, something bad happens. I want to stay faithful to my boyfriend and being friends with Chase would not make that easy.

I start up my car and pull off. Chase leans against his car with his head in his hands. I can’t look at him so I hurry up and get out of the parking lot. The whole way to DeAndre’s house, I can’t stop thinking about Chase.

Do I want to be with him? He is a great guy. Maybe I overreacted with everything that has happened…I am a bit of a drama queen. Maybe I should just turn around…

NO!

I am with DeAndre. He’s an amazing person and boyfriend, and I couldn’t ask for anyone better. He treats me the way I deserve to be treated and has never lied to me. Unlike Chase. I’m happy with him.

I think…

A/N: So I've decided who Ivy-Reece will end up with. Judging by the majority of comments I get on this story I think a lot of people will be happy. *GASP* I've said too much! Sorry for the long wait. I'll do better. :)