Chapter 22

"We need to talk."

I shoot Chase a strange look before responding. He literally just took the words right out of my mouth.

"Yes?"

"I know why you're here."

"Do you really?" I smirk at him.

"Yeah and...I think we should wait."

"Huh?" I'm not understanding what he's saying.

"Before he left, DeAndre came to my house. He told me he thinks that you need me in your life and he didn't want to stand in the way of that. He also told me to be expecting you to come over within the next couple of days. So I'm telling you now, we should wait."

I don't say anything so he continues.

"Please don't think that I don't want to be with you because that is not the case. It's just that, if we got together so soon after you and DeAndre broke up then people would give us so much shit and I know we can both handle it but..."

"But what?" I ask, a little pissed off.

"I don't want you to be subjected to all that hate and jealousy. You're too good for that."

"Fuck that!" I yell. "I want to be with you and you want to be with me so that's all there is to it! Let’s be together."

"It's not that simple Ivy-Reece!" Chase yells back at me. "I'm not jumping into a relationship with you when you just broke up with a guy that you chose over me in the first place!! I know you may think I am but I'm not your little fucking bitch!!"

I'm a bit taken aback by that last statement. Is that really what he thinks I think of him?

"Chase," I try to talk to him but he cuts me off.

"I'm not gonna put up with being your second choice. I meant it when I told you I loved you and, because I do, of course I want you to be my girlfriend. Hell, I have half a mind to marry your crazy ass but we just need to take it slow!"

"So...we can be friends?" I ask him quietly.

"Baby, we can be best friends." He says with a tired smile on his face.

I smile back at him, feeling just as emotionally exhausted as he looks, and scoot closer to him so I can lay my head on his shoulder.

"I love you too. Just so you know." I tell him.

"We're so fucked up." He says with a smirk on his face.

I don’t know why but that makes me laugh so hard and I end up laughing for a good 5 minutes. When I'm done Chase is looking at me with amusement all over his face.

"What?" I say, still trying to get my laughter all the way under control.

His smirk turns into a full blown smile and he just shakes his head at me.

"Tell me!" I whine.

"It's nothing baby girl." He tries to brush me off again.

"Chase, tell me right now or I'm gonna go into your house and tell your mom about how I heard you and Janelle getting it on that one time."

He looks at me with wide eyes.

"You wouldn't." He dares me.

"Oh, but I would." I say, accepting the dare.

"Okay! Fine! It's just that...you look so beautiful when you laugh."

"You're sweet." I say, nudging his shoulder with mine.