Chapter 1

My name is Ivy-Reece Hayes. No. My middle name is not Reece. My name is actually Ivy-Reece. No nicknames, no nothing. When people on my block address me they say "Ivy-Reece". No Ifs, Ands, Buts, Nothing. I'm a black girl. I'm not one of those little mixed half-breed kids. No. I'm just a chocolate-skinned girl with curly black hair, thick hips, thick lips, a big ass, and an attitude to match. I live in Brooklyn with my Pops. My parentals divorced about 6 years ago. Now my Moms is trying to "Get A Fresh Start" with her life. I might actually believe her if she wasn't just in Atlanta with her new husband and six year old son. Needless to say, me and my Pops don't get down with her no more.

"Ivy-Reece!! Get your ass up before you’re late to school again!!" I hear my Pops call to me before he leaves to work.

I look at the time and see it says 8:00 a.m. School starts at 8:25. I'm about to just go back to sleep when my cell phone rings.

“Yeah?" I answer.

"Ivy-Reece!! Where the hell are you girl? I'm downstairs waiting on you right now,” my best friend Ebony practically screams into my ear.

"Damn Ebony! Can you chill?"

"Only if you hurry up and get down here.”

Man... I guess I’m just not meant to skip school today. I get up and brush my teeth, thrown on some sweats, a fitted tee, and some Jordans, and put my curly mess of hair into a pony tail and head downstairs with my book bag.

“Okay Ebony. I’m here now.” I say to her extremely sarcastic.

“Finally. Let’s go. School starts in 10 minutes.” She says, completely oblivious to my sarcasm.

Luckily, our school is only 5 minutes away from my crib and we manage to slide into our seats right before the bell rings.

~*~

School goes by in a blur and before I know it, I'm walking into my house to find my Pops sitting on the couch with some woman.

"Ivy-Reece! There you are!" He says with a big ass smile on his face.

"Hey Pops. What's up?" I say suspiciously.

"Come sit down VeeRee." He says to me, using the nickname he gave to me when I was too young to object to it. I wearily go and sit next to him so that he's in the middle of me and the mystery woman.

"Ivy-Reece, this is Daniella Franklin. She's a real estate agent."

"It’s a pleasure to meet you Ivy", she says reaching out to shake my hand.

I slap her hand away from me, ready to choke the shit out of her.

"First of all, my name is Ivy-Reece. Not Ivy. And second of all," I say turning to my Pops,” You only get a real estate agent when you need to sell a house or buy a house."

"I know that Ivy-Reece. I sold the condo and bought a house in Richmond, Virginia." My Pops says to me.

"What??!!" I scream.

"Ivy-Reece," my Pops says "Calm down. And let me finish what I have to say."

"Okay...Okay," I say between deep breaths, "I'm calm."

"Okay. Well, today was your last day of school since its Friday and we're moving on Sunday. I'm sorry for not consulting you on with this, but we really don't have a choice. My job is transferring me there."

"Pops...How long have you known?" I question him.

"About 3 weeks." he admits.

At this point I'm ready to explode. Instead I decide to get up as calmly as I can and just go to my room. I hear my Pops calling after me, but I don't care.

Once I'm in my room I call Ebony immediately. She picks up on the first ring.

"Speak to me."

"Ebony. I'm moving. To Richmond,"

"Richmond?? Virginia??" She questions me.

"Yes. Richmond, Virginia. And as if this isn't bad enough. We're going on Sunday. So I need to start packing today. Would you come help me Bestie?" I ask her on the verge of tears.

"Of course." She tells me.

Within the next 15 minutes Ebony arrives and we start right away. For the rest of the night Ebony and I pack until we end up passed out on the floor.