Starstruck Chapter 25. Mayhem

Chapter 25. Mayhem

There were three reasons why I became an actress. One was to follow the legacy of my mother who was a star in her own generation. Two was because I wanted to become a person who was worthy of my first love. The last reason was so my father would finally notice me. Now that I knew that he wasn’t really who I thought he was, my mind was full of questions.

Who was my real father? Why did my mother lie to me before she died? And more importantly, would I ever become whole again? Plagued with these thoughts, I packed my bags and went to the cabin that my mother owned, deep in the forest. I haven’t been to the cabin in years. But I needed the escape and comfort it gave me.

Dulce, Eris, and their friends kept on calling me. The problem was I wasn’t fit to talk to them. I wanted to, but I couldn’t. I was emotionally and mentally unstable and I would surely hurt them by saying or doing something unpleasant. That was the reason why I went to the cabin- to escape.

My mobile phone rang for what seemed to be the hundredth time. Burning it or tossing it in the trash bin crossed my mind, but my concern for my girlfriend prevented me from doing so. If an emergency happened, I wanted to be in the loop. For the moment though, I just stared blankly at the lumber wall, ignoring the annoying buzzing sound of the phone. It didn’t take much to make me fall asleep to the white sound.

As I awoke, I decided to explore the small yet cozy cabin. My mother used to take me here. When I was six, I had a vague recollection of my mom and me going on a trip in this place. It was just the two of us and we had a blast. She made s’mores for me, ingeniously using the fireplace in the living room to heat the mallows, singing the campfire song as we ate it together near the warmth of the fire.

My mom was the complete opposite of Rick. She exuded warmth and gentleness, while Rick was always cold and harsh. I should have seen the signs early on. If he was my real father then he wouldn’t have treated me like that. But why did he hate me so much? Lots of adoptive parents were good to their children. Maybe he saw something in me that didn’t go well with him. Or maybe he was just an ass.

Going to one of the three rooms in the cabin, I saw the familiar wooden bed that my mother used to sleep on when we were here before. Sitting down, I placed my palm on top of the dust covered white sheet, gliding my hand smoothly, wanting to feel her presence somehow. But I was only kidding myself. No amount of wishing would bring her back. She has been dead a long time ago so she couldn’t answer the question about my dad. My real one this time.

Taking a deep and shaky breath, I got up from the bed and walked towards the closet. Pulling it open, I saw that it was bare, save for a wooden chest that was intricately carved with swirling patterns. My mother used to open this chest. I sat crossed-leg on the floor, tugging the trunk to me, curious as to what was inside.

Dusting it off with my hands, I yanked it open and saw a lot of pictures and letters. It must have been from her die-hard fans. Checking one of the letters out, I saw my mother’s handwriting, thanking the fan for writing her. These were unsent letters that should have been mailed years ago. My mom was so busy that she must have forgotten to send it.

A ring from my mobile phone jerked me away from my thoughts. The ringtone was different, it was the one I assigned specifically for Andrea. Hurrying to the living room where I left it, I grabbed the phone from the table and swiped the accept option.

“Hello Andrea? Why are you calling? Did something happen to Dulce?” My heart thumped wildly against my chest. Why else would she call?

“Don’t worry about Dulce,” she said calmly from the other line. I breathed a sigh of relief. “But we need to talk Glace.” Her tone was serious. It wasn’t scolding though which I expected her to do after I ruined her announcement.