Break Even

*Pennsylvania*

I'm still alive but I'm barely breathing

Just prayin' to a God that I don't believe in

'Cause I got time while she got freedom

It was a beautiful day in an alleyway, as they half talked and half argued.

"You killed Jeremy Gilbert," he stated, before getting to his feet where he'd been crouching and thinking. He'd just found out that she'd lied to him.

She stood in front of him.

"Jeremy was collateral damage. I was doing what I had to do to survive," she defended.

"Is that what I am to you? A means of survival?"

"No. Of course, you're not a means of survival. You looked out for me when I had no one. You've given me a second chance now when no one else will." She rested a gentle hand on the side of his face. "I love you. Elijah."

He turned his face away and she dropped her hand.

"You don't believe me."

"I want to," he replied. "It's my disease. I just keep wanting to believe you, but how can I when, at every turn, you give me a reason to doubt you? I don't know you. I don't think I ever will."

He began to walk away.

She caught up with him and rested a hand on his arm, stopping him.

"Wait."

He looked at her hand that was on his arm.

She took her hand away.

He looked at her saying, "Goodbye, Katherine."

She could only watch, as he walked away.

*Mikaelson Mansion*

'Cause when a heart breaks no it don't break even

Her best days will be some of my worst

She stood in front of him at the Mikaelson mansion. He'd just told her that he was leaving.

"It's our turn, Elijah. Please."

He kissed her on the forehead.

"Goodbye, Katerina."

*Secrecy-1752*

She finally met a man that's gonna put her first

While I'm wide awake

She's no trouble sleeping

'Cause when a heart breaks no it don't break even...even...no

Katherine had just finished feeding and sending a human on her way after compelling her to forget that she'd been fed on by a vampire, when she sensed someone.

She turned around to see Elijah Mikaelson, the eldest of the siblings and the love of her life.

"Elijah," she greeted, but was wary. They were in love, but his brother was her greatest enemy who wanted her dead.