Chapter Forty

Chapter Forty

Silence wasn't quiet; in reality, it was loud. It could pierce your eardrums, bust them, and create a million of its own noises. Silence could drive you to insanity faster than noise itself. So did that make silence the true culprit?

It was silence that was found before and after bad news. They told you politely to have a seat, which was followed by a moment of silence before they told you how you loved one died tragically. After, it was silence that tormented you, a constant reminder that it would never be filled with the sound of your loved one's voice again.

It was silence that snapped at me, growling and snarling at deafening pitches as Kendall continued holding me, unmoving and without uttering a single word. I'd never feared silence as much as I did now.

"Kendall?" I croaked, my hoarse voice sounding loud as it shattered the silence.

Kendall didn't say anything yet, but I did feel as he pulled away, turning his back to me and running a hand through his hair. It was unnerving, not being able to see his thoughts written all over his face.

When he did turn around to speak, I found myself cautiously walking over to him. I placed a careful hand on his back and opened my mouth, but Kendall was quick to push it away. His reaction hurt, but I didn't bother trying again.

"Why?" he asked shortly, void of any emotions.

"Why what?" I replied, willing to answer any questions as long as it meant he would finally speak to me.

"Why tell me now when I express my raw feelings verbally to you? Why not wait until later down the line, or perhaps not mention it at all?" He asked, sounding as if he would've preferred the latter. He still wouldn't look at me.

So I walked closer to him until his firm jaw was in sight along with his blank eyes that only looked forward without acknowledging me. I knew treading lightly was my only option at this point if I wanted thing to end well, or as close to "well" as they could get.

"I told you because I don't want to lose you, Kendall. I was going to tell you sooner or later; I promise," I replied softly, my voice sounding more confident than I would ever feel in this moment.

Kendall didn't reply at first but glanced up at the ceiling in thought. All the while, my heart pounded in anticipation, and my breathing slowed with suspense.

"Did you expect no consequence from me once I found out? Betrayal of a Prince calls for a brutal death, delivered by the prince himself if he so desires," Kendall recalled right before his eyes flickered to me.

I think that was the moment when the tension started building up. Kendall was clearly on edge and I was cautious. I thought the combination would be fine, but I was wrong.

"I expect something to happen, and I'll accept it. I don't care about that. What I won't accept is losing you without a fight," I said, altogether ignoring the part where he himself had the right to kill me. Kendall wouldn't kill someone he loved; even his pride wasn't that high.

"Perhaps that should have crossed your mind before you released the werewolves," he snapped, his eyes still on mine.

They were calculating while taking in every word that I had said. He still wasn't in the forgiving mood, which is what I'd expected. What I didn't expect was for him to laugh humorlessly as he ran a hand through his hair.

"I suspected you as it was the only logical scenario that made sense. You were the least suspected and the only one who truly cared enough for the wolves to risk your life. You nearly killed the guard for beating his wolf when we had first become acquainted. You were nowhere to be found when the incident initially took place. However, my suspicions diminished when it was connected to the murder of a guard."

His eyes hardened with the last sentence, and his body had tensed further under my hand while I bristled at the accusation. I thought Kendall knew I wouldn't resort to murder, but I was once again proven wrong by the look on his face.

"I didn't kill anyone, Kendall! Do you honestly think you would still be alive if I was a killer?" I snapped, not liking the direction this conversation was taking.

"No? Then why did a guard wind up lifeless without the exact things you wore and carried that day?" Kendall questioned, unbending, and his voice turned harsh.

To that, I didn't respond but bit my tongue. I wasn't a traitor, no matter the situation. I wouldn't throw Nolan under the bus just so I could find suitable ground with Kendall.

Kendall's blue eyes studied me, giving me an ample amount of time to reply. When I didn't, he said," You claim to have clean hands, but you have no explanation for what I said."

He walked around me once, collecting his thoughts, before he stopped in front of me, a cold smile on his face. "You turned into the Protector I desired and more. It was loyalty I most desired, and it is what I received over time. However, I believe that exact trait is why you are so quiet."

My heart thudded as he continued. "They believed there were two culprits as it would require two to both block the door and let out the wolves in such a short amount of time. However, there was no evidence to support this theory, so they abandoned it.

Tell me who your partner was and the crime will be pinned on them," Kendall finished, his eyes burning me.

I looked away, unable to meet his eyes. I could hear his sharp sigh before he snapped, "Stop being so damn stubborn! Did you not understand a word I said? You will go without punishment for supplying a single name."

"Kendall-" I started slowly, but he waved me off when he realized I wasn't giving him what he wanted.

"Fine. You will stand there while I find out with whom you betrayed me. I will not have them punish you when there is an alternative to place the blame on," he said more to himself than me as he walked over to his desk chair and sat down.

I opened my mouth but didn't get a word out before he said, "Enough. I gave you a chance to speak, which you chose to ignore. Now, you no longer have the option."

I gritted my teeth, trying to keep my anger at bay. Kendall was being controlling, something he knew I didn't particularly like. I even had the vague feeling that was the reason he was doing so.

"It has to be someone you trust as you would never knowingly place your life in the hands of a stranger. You would also never work with someone close to me as they would pose a clear danger. They would require the same passion you have for werewolves, whatever the reason. You would also have to see them often enough in solitary to formulate a plan and alibi without others noticing," he concluded, staring at me the whole time.

He knew it was Nolan; he had to. Kendall was smart enough to figure it out quickly. But I had no idea how he would handle it.

We remained like that for what seemed like an hour, but I was sure it was only a few minutes before he finally spoke.

"I will inform the guards of your former lover's actions. Surely he has the same loyalty as you and will not tell of your involvement," Kendall decided before adding, "As for you and I, we are nothing more than a Master and his Protector. You will remain as a wolf at all times except when you sleep. You will not find me unless you are called for; is that understood?"

"Kendall, I'm sorry, okay? I know that doesn't mean much right now, but I'm willing to do whatever it takes. Please-" I tried, my voice trailing off as I swallowed my pride for the first time in my life.

Kendall's eyes flickered and softened. He opened his mouth to speak, and I thought he would give me a second chance, one I wouldn't let go to waste.

But with a single command, the guards stormed in and escorted me out.