Chapter Twenty Three

In the Gordon house, it was apparently a tradition to sit together in the living room and listen to Mr. Gordon or Mrs. Gordon explain how they, along with the other council members, had decided to keep the supernatural races in check. Overall, they were going to tell me why the War of Races ended the way it did.

Kendall had tried to get us out of it, more for my sake than his own. He thought I would snap at them and reveal I wasn't quite as human as everyone else in the room. I had brushed his thought process away because I was insanely curious as to why they hadn't killed off the werewolves.

In reality, we were their biggest threat during the prime of the war. The lesser supernatural were treated like the scum on the bottom of someone's shoe, and it was what they'd grown to believe they were during the war. So they didn't put up a fight after the war. Now, they hid in the shadows and wished for Death to sweep them gracefully off their feet and into the afterlife.

The vampires were a threat when the war started, but quickly became desperate when humans learned how to take control of their only food source: blood, particularly human. The humans killed off any of their own kind that were unwilling to move behind the large wall they had precariously built. One of those unwilling people had been the president at the time, which is why there is no longer a single ruler. Now, vampires were the working force and were paid in blood but never given enough to become truly powerful.

Then there were the shifters. Werewolves had never considered themselves to be shifters and had distanced themselves further from them after the war for their cowardice behavior. But in technical terms and whatnot, we were shifters. At the beginning of the war, all shifters, excluding werewolves, fled. They completely disappeared, becoming ghosts. Now, if one was seen, which was rarely, they were killed on sight for their act of betrayal and simply for their potential threat by humans and supernatural alike. It seemed to be the only thing they could agree on.

Lastly were the werewolves. We had attacked the humans in full force using both deception and brutality. Our weakness had been our loyalty. We'd sacrificed ourselves for others of our kind and other supernatural. The war had greatly affected our numbers, and we had bowed out, tired of seeing our innocent children and women slaughtered. Now? Now, we were captured by the wealthiest humans and kept like damn pets. But my question was why.

So now we sat here, Kendall's parents on one couch, his brothers on the other. Kendall was sitting in the sofa chair while I was on its rather uncomfortable arm. He had offered to trade places, but I'd declined. I would be the first one up and out if things grew too heated.

Kendall and I had also tried to sneak out this morning to leave as originally intended, but his family had insisted we stay and listen to the story. So we were stuck here for another day. By the looks I received from Mrs. Gordon, I wouldn't make it through the full day.

"Everyone's ready," Calyx supplied, looking the most relaxed out of us all. He caught my staring and waggled his eyebrows, laughing when I flipped him off and looked away.

"I suppose I should make sure not to skim over some of the events as I frequently do, for our guest," Mr. Gordon said, acknowledging me while his wife only huffed. She was lucky a snide comment didn't slip from her mouth instead.

"That would be appreciated," I replied with a light smile, surprised when Mr. Gordon returned mine with his own. It was odd considering yesterday, but I didn't let it faze me too much because it didn't seem to affect Kendall in any way.

"I will start with a question, then. Do you know about the council?" He asked, and I nodded my head, wondering who could possibly not know about them.