Chapter Twenty Eight

Being alone in the palace once again was nice. Although, I wasn't truly alone with all of the guards watching everyone's every moment and the servants dusting this and polishing that. But I was as close to alone as I could be given that Kendall was gone.

He was currently out organizing all of his recently acquired land since Mr. Chaney had passed away last weekend. I'd pleaded to go, hating the thought of being without something to do, but Kendall had refused consistently. He'd said that a Protector would only cause the people to trust him less.

In response, I'd pointed out that there was a herd of guards accompanying him. So as his last resort, he'd said that I still had a week before I was allowed to perform my duty as his Protector. He'd said I wasn't healed completely, according to the doctors. I'd said "not healed my ass" and proceeded to flip him off before I walked away.

However, it turned out that being alone wasn't so bad as long as it wasn't night. I'd been able to clear my mind of Kendall and his kisses to focus on much more important things. I'd made a promise during my first few months, and it was one I intended to keep.

I now knew my way around the lowest level of the palace, where the werewolves were kept, better than some of the guards. I'd learned some of their schedules also, but they were much too erratic to plan anything serious yet.

I also knew some of the werewolves hadn't lost complete hope just yet. I could see a glimmer of it in their eyes when they looked at me before I could only wish that it didn't diminish before I got the chance to help. I made the promise to help them and I would, whether "it pleased Kendall or not."

I watched as yet another guard walked into the room known as the Indoor Stables. He dragged a werewolf with him, snapping when it didn't walk as fast as wanted. But I could only watch them, nothing more. At least, for now.

The Indoor Stables was a polite way of saying an imprisonment for werewolves. I'd caught glimpses of the inside only to see an endless line of steel kennels. The small view had both terrified and angered me. I couldn't even imagine having to be locked up in one every night.

I was still looking at the Indoor Stables when I noticed the approaching footsteps. I turned my attention towards the sound but not my head. I wasn't curious or worried enough to give it my full, undivided attention.

Just as I'd predicted, the guards surged forward, creating a wall between me and the unidentified person. I listened as they did a pat down, which I was sure was almost as efficient as the multiple they had received downstairs. Then, they talked.

"No one is to near the Protector without explicit permission from her Master," one of the guards said, his voice firm and unwavering. That only made the stranger laugh.

His laugh sent chills throughout my body, and I could feel the hairs on my neck rising slowly at the sound. I'd known and memorized that laugh long ago and recognized it to this day. I turned for confirmation, but the guards blocked my way.

"Ah, so you have a Master now? It appears as if he's all but trapped you down with children," he said with a mocking tone, but it sounded more bitter than anything to my ears.

"Let him through," I told the guards as I walked forward. The first thing I saw was the amber color of his eyes and the way they traveled my body.

Without turning, a guard answered with, "Prince Gordon instructed that no one is to near you w-"

"Do you want your precious Prince to hear about your disobedience?" I asked quizzically, interrupting him.

I watched as he finally turned, and his eyes narrowed while I imagined he was clenching his jaw. "Move!" He snapped at his men who parted after a moment. Then he said, " Prince Gordon will hear of this."

"Yes, he will," I said back with ease, watching as the guards went back to the walls. Then, slowly, I turned back to him.

He didn't look much different from the last time I'd seen him. His dark brown, almost black, hair was to his shoulders now, and I was sure it bothered him. He used to hate wasting time with anything that wasn't necessary, so he would frequently chop his hair off. He also wore a suit instead of the old, faded clothes I'd grown fond of seeing him in.

The two things I'd forgotten about him were his height and smell. He'd always been taller than me and never failed to mention it when we were together. I used to have to stand on my toes to kiss him and whisper in his ear teasingly. I was sure that, if I tried, that would still be the same.

His scent had always been alluring to me, so much more so than others. It was probably what drew me to him, the mix of the enticing scent along with his level of dominance. Last I remembered, he'd been a largely dominant and respected werewolf in our town, but it had never come into play during our relationship, excluding the bedroom.

"My, my. You haven't aged a day, my darling," he said with a wide smile, but I only rolled my eyes in response. His charm had never worked with me and still didn't.

"What were you doing here the other day, Nolan?" I asked, leading him away from the prison full of werewolves.

Nolan had been the werewolf I'd seen the day of the explosive; I was sure of it. I hadn't remembered his scent, but it was clear as day now. Nolan was a very cunning person, one easily capable of setting an up explosive without gathering attention.

I knew I should tell Kendall before asking, but I wasn't going to until I'd talked to Nolan myself. He may not have set the explosive and once Kendall found him, he wouldn't listen to Nolan's reasoning.

Nolan frowned briefly, rubbing his chin. "I was stuck in a . . . conundrum. I was to act as a woman's Protector for a day in trade for her keeping a secret of mine," he said before a sly smile slid onto his face, and he quickly and expertly changed the subject.

"But enough about me, my darling. How did my stunning flower become a Gordon boy's lap dog?" Nolan asked as I tried backing away only to hit a wall.

"I'm not your anything anymore, Nolan. We, us, ended a long time ago," I replied, not able to meet his eyes. He'd always been persuasive, and he was much closer right now than I liked. I didn't trust myself.

"That doesn't mean my desire for you lessened, darling," he whispered, leaning down and breathing me in as he had the other night. I shivered, feeling vulnerable.

But our moment was quickly interrupted as a masculine voice cleared its throat.

"Would someone care to explain what is going on?"