Chapter Sixteen (Snowflake)

This is the previous chapter, but it's in "Snowflake's" POV instead. I hope you enjoy it!

Chapter Sixteen

Snowflake's POV

Kendall was certainly the type to make a woman feel as if she'd won a prize. I only allowed myself to admit that he looked rather nice for a moment. Doing so any longer might have led me down a dangerous path.

He was in a soft gray suit, the red-collared shirt proudly catching the attention of others. The colors might clash with one another on someone else, but Kendall made them look classic.

The look on his face brought a smirk slithering onto my own. He was staring as if someone had put him in a trance. The look amused me to no end, but I found myself questioning whether it was directed towards me or not.

"Did the wolf catch your tongue?" I asked, watching the light quickly make its way back into Kendall's eyes. However, he didn't smile as expected. His stare lingered a little longer than necessary before he blinked.

"Shall we?" He asked, making no comment towards my earlier joke. Here I was thinking of snide comebacks to use, yet he had just ignored it.

I watched him extend his arm my way, and I hesitated for a moment. He was a Prince. Princes weren't supposed to treat someone as they would themselves unless they were of equal royalty, which I certainly was not.

I finally put my arm through his, resting it there. The gesture was odd to me as there was never formal touching at home like Kendall and I were doing. There were either grandeur displays of affection, little pecks of adoration, or nothing at all.

"Did you enjoy my presents?" He asked, his calm voice filling the space of silence laying between us. Kendall could have asked me about anything, yet he chose to ask about the unnecessary, materialistic items he had given me. If he was fishing for a form of compliment, then he should have realized he would only wind up holding disappointment in his hands.

I shrugged casually, trying not to convey my annoyance at the question. Instead, I tried for a merely disinterested look as I answered it. "I didn't see the need for it all when you've already supplied me with a wardrobe of dresses," I replied, itching to see his reaction. But I kept my gaze fastened ahead, avoiding temptation.

"Ah, but the one you currently wear was made exclusively for you. No one else will wear a similar dress," he countered, not seeming to catch on. If I was the type to care for such "exclusive" styles, then I wouldn't have thrown all of those dresses underneath the bed.

"That's great," I said lamely, the conversation reaching its sudden end.

Kendall cleared his throat, not giving up that easily. "During this event, you are to remain by my side as you would if you were a wolf," he commanded just as we reached the room I assumed the ball was being held in.

"Yes, as you please, Prince Gordon," I said, allowing a thick layer of sarcasm to make itself openly apparent. The arrogant man may have thought he was my Master, but I still felt hatred towards his words.

Kendall visibly tensed by my side and opened his mouth to respond. Fortunately, he closed it, keeping whatever comment he had to himself. Neither of us needed to create a scene, especially seeing as we were now directly in front of the room.

There was a cluster of guards, more than usual, standing alert and attentive. As soon as Kendall appeared, they all turned towards him, awaiting further instructions.

It dawned on me that the only thing separating us from the crowd was the pair of old, grand doors. The crowd, which I assumed was filled with other Princes and Princesses like Kendall, would ultimately judge me tonight. They would either dismiss me or shame me with disgrace. Instant adoration wasn't an option for tonight.