Chapter Twenty One

Chapter Twenty One

I didn't know what I was expecting to see when we arrived at the Gordon's house, but it certainly wasn't what I saw. There was no grand castle larger than Kendall's nor any doting people waiting outside to catch a glimpse of their King and Queen. They actually only lived in a grand house.

The stone house was larger than most but couldn't quite compare itself to a palace. However, it seemed to hold the same comfort a summer cottage would. There were exotic flowers blooming in the front, standing proudly by the house. It was then I realized why there was no one loyally sitting outside.

The house was centered in the middle of a forest away from the view of others. Even Kendall had a hard time finding it, although he claims to have never seen it. His parents had once lived in a castle, but they had passed it down to Cayne before settling in a nice, secluded area. By the time they had decided to leave, Kendall had been long gone.

He'd also said his parents were still rulers, but that they had passed most of the responsibility to his brothers. Kendall didn't seem to care that he hadn't gotten any of it, but he was always busy regardless. I imagine he'd never have time for pleasure trips like this if more work was handed to him.

"Quit fidgeting," Kendall snapped, closing the carriage door. I gave him a death glare, but it was one he wasn't able to see because he was telling the driver of the carriage when he was expected to be back.

"Quit telling me to quit fidgeting," I said just as sharply, but I did stop the action. I'd been moving around the whole ride only to receive annoyed comments from Kendall each time.

"We are late and I am already nervous. Your constant dancing around did not help any," he grumbled, and I only rolled my eyes. Kendall was acting childish. None of that was my fault, and he had told the carriage driver to drive slowly.

"Perhaps we should drug you," Lex said, his eyes sparkling. I cracked up at the glare he received from Kendall.

Lex had been invited to join us by Kendall's parents. Lex was practically a Gordon himself, although he told me he would only stop by for an hour or so. After, he would leave to visit his actual parents and sister.

"I expect good behavior from the two of you," Kendall said, already looking irritated and we had yet to step into the house. I couldn't imagine how Kendall would react once we were inside.

"Aye aye, Captain!" Lex said, mock saluting him. I snickered while Kendall gave him a look that would undoubtedly kill if it could.

The front door swung open, revealing a blonde boy. His eyes reflected surprise once they met an abruptly tense Kendall's. He looked so much like Cayne that I thought it was safe to assume he was the third Gordon boy. Unlike the first impressions his brothers had given me, his ease with deception was much more obvious. His smirk revealed just how confident he felt.

"Well, well, if it isn't my long lost brother. Had any adventures lately, Kendall?" He asked, closing the door behind him as he walked towards his brother.

"Calyx," Kendall greeted formally, seeming to coil away when his brother pulled him in for a hug. That's when he saw me and the over-confident smirk on his face visibly grew into a cocky smile.

"Don't even think about it, pretty boy," I growled when he pulled away from Kendall and opened his mouth. Lex looked amused while confusion crossed Kendall's face.

Calyx raised his hands, feigning innocence. But I would trust him as far as my patience with Kendall could go, which was extremely short. I may not know him, but he reminded me too much of a cat with wide, "cuddly" eyes, preparing to pounce on you with claws extended any second.