Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

I was becoming more tired with each defensive lunge I sent towards them. Two of them looked as tired as I felt while the leader watched me relentlessly with blood-thirsty eyes, waiting for me to make the smallest mistake.

I was covered in cuts, ranging from deep gashes that bled freely and openly to small nicks that would heal themselves within a few hours. Along with my new injuries, my neck throbbed to a painful beat. I was sure it had opened itself sometime during the last few hours.

They were covered in their own wounds, too. While they didn't have as many as I did, they held the more serious wounds. One of the natural wolves was limping because my teeth had met bone, and I was sure its paw was at least fractured. Their injuries may be worse than my own, but there were still three of them against one of me.

Kendall had wisely remained quiet during the exchange, only calling out when they caught ahold of me. I was glad he hadn't done something stupid, such as accidentally distracting me or trying to intervene between us.

What screwed me over was the rustling noise I heard towards my right. I made the mistake of taking a quick glance in that direction before a wolf's body made impact with my own.

The air quickly left my lungs as I slammed into the harsh ground, my vision fading for a few moments. But I was cruelly brought back as a pair of teeth slashed into my neck, directly where my old wounds were. I didn't realize how loud the cry of a wolf could be until that day when I nearly pierced my own eardrums.

"Stop," Kendall shouted, his voice direct and laced with warning. The wolf only ignored him, but the other two growled threateningly.

The wolf made the mistake of loosening his grip on my neck. I took the opportunity, bucking him off of me with all my strength as I shoved off the ground.

My vision wasn't doing so well at this point. But I did hear the wolf's sharp yelp as his body met with a nearby tree. However, I didn't turn to find him as I was sure I would lose what remaining vision I had at the sudden movement.

I tried to take a step towards the other wolves, but my legs buckled and my body almost gave in. That's when Kendall no longer remained wise in my eyes.

I watched as one of the wolves raised its hackles, preparing to attack. But Kendall ran in front of me, halting the wolf. He now seemed unsure, not knowing if he would be correct in attacking the human in front of him.

"Leave!" Kendall snapped, trying his hand at authority. The wolves began growling at him, their ears up and alert, conveying that they didn't take him seriously. In fact, they seemed to be leaning closer and closer to attacking him.

I growled weakly and attempted to walk once again only to fall straight to the ground. I stayed there, trying to regain more energy and strength before I gave standing another try.

You're an idiot, I thought towards Kendall, wishing I could voice my opinion to him. He deserved a rant just about now. Maybe it would knock the stupidity back and allow common sense to take its rightful place in the front of the line.

Who the hell decides to try protecting a werewolf from natural wolves? A man who'd allowed his brain to become dense, that's who. There was no other explanation as to why Kendall would do something so senseless.

He was what a mouse was to a cat: a play toy that became dinner when boredom finally struck. And it would strike, sooner or later. He would have been better off running wildly through the woods compared to now. Kendall was a fragile human whose fate depended on whether the natural wolves' Master had taught them to attack humans.