Chapter Twenty Four (Kendall)

Chapter Twenty Four

Kendall's POV

If I was allowed my way, I would rule the land I owned without problematic errors, and I would not depend on a single person. Unfortunately, this was not a perfected society, and it was not going to become perfect anytime soon. The problem I currently stressed about was finding my chef in such a short amount of time.

"You claim to have seen him?" I asked one of my several servants after searching for nearly an hour on my own.

I was not sure why she offered her help when she shook and was unable to meet my eyes. I did not have time to deal with the shy personality she was displaying.

"Well?" I snapped, allowing her to see a hint of what was to come if she did not supply me with an answer.

"K-k-kitchen," she squeaked before curtsying and scurrying away as a mouse might. I growled under my breath, prepared to yank my hair out by its ends.

"Damn it," I cursed quietly, making my way to the kitchen. It had been my first destination when I was in search for my chef, but I had only found it deserted of any human companionship. If he was not found within the next five minutes, I would make sure he had a difficult time discovering his next job.

Without warning or scheduling, one of my most important "clients" had called me, informing me that he would be here within the current hour. If I appeared "sloppy," I would lose a large mass of my land along with enough potential land to nearly double my current amount. It would suffice to say I depended on this man and his happiness.

"Tell Snowflake she is to report to the kitchen as my Protector," I told a group of passing guards. Surely with multiple of them, they would do a thorough job.

The guards each bowed, saying things such as "Yes, Your Highness," before departing and walking in the general direction of Snowflake's room. If they could not get that done, they too would be in search of a new job.

I found the kitchen and swung open the silent door. It had been installed that way after several complaints from a variety of servants. But the door was not what had me pausing at the entry and merely looking on.

The chef was in the kitchen as I had been informed. He stood there, leaning against the granite countertop with a pleased smile as he watched her eat. She had not bothered with courtesies and manners as he did. She was currently sitting on the countertop, her light-colored legs crossed and displaying themselves as the shorts were much too short. The shirt she wore was rather large on her, but I knew it would fit my own figure fine.

She was eating a slice of what looked to be cheesecake, absolute delight on her face as she bit into it. It reminded me of a child receiving a gift for the first time in a long time. It was astonishing that someone so exotic to my world could find pure happiness in a slice of dessert. She had taken me by surprise yet again.

Both she and the chef seemed to realize my presence as they turned to look at me. The chef's smile disappeared rather fast, but her green eyes lightened a shade, and I could feel my own softening at the sight of her. It was becoming a habit, one that I needed to change quickly. However, I was not sure I was quite ready to do so.

I turned to the chef, neutralizing my expression. "I expect a full course meal to be ready and awaiting delivery within an hour," I said, watching him bow before beginning his daily work. Allowing the chef an hour would allow for me to discuss for at least thirty minutes with my client before we took a break.

I turned my full attention back to her as she slid off the counter, moving in my direction, the plate of cheesecake still in her hands. She certainly was quite a person. That much I could say about her with confidence.

"Open," was all she said before reaching up, a piece of the cheesecake on the fork. I was much too startled and stressed to deal with her games.

"Snowflake, I have the ability to feed-" However, she did not feel the need or desire to hear the rest of my sentence. She swiftly shoved the fork in my mouth, laughing at the unamused look I gave her.

"It's heavenly, isn't it? I haven't had cheesecake like this in years," she said excitedly, taking the fork and finishing off the last remaining piece of the rather delicious dessert.

"We have a business meeting to attend to. Change out of my shirt and report back here," I said, watching as a frown settled on her face.

She placed the dish in the sink, kissing the chef's cheek before thanking him. He only laughed, telling her she was welcome back at any time. When she passed me, however, I did not receive a kiss of any sorts.

"Only you could kill a day so quickly," she said, walking away from me. I was almost attempted to pull her back but thought better of it. We did not have time for the little game that we held close between us.

I caught a glimpse of what looked to be a smile on the chef's face as he shook his head. I felt my eyes narrow themselves into the slits of a cat's before asking, "Have I said something that causes you amusement?" He heard the warning within my words and had the decency to blush.

"Nothing, my Prince. She's just very unique," he said quickly, paying attention to his work again and not my Protector.

"That she is," I murmured lowly enough that only I heard. I was grateful for her, both as a companion and as a Protector, even if I did not portray myself in that manner. She had become one of the few people that I felt I could trust, something I could not say about many, including my family.

I abruptly jumped, a cool nose nudging my leg. I looked down, meeting the ever-staring, hazel eyes of my wolf. I gave her a smile, which she returned by allowing her tongue to roll out of her mouth and to hang to the side.

I laughed in response before saying, "Let us go before you distract me further." With that, we headed to the conference room, Snowflake's rough nails clicking on the polished floor. Neither of us said, or rather tried to say, a word.

Luckily, when we got there, my client was not in sight. I then took a seat, curious as to why he had called this unexpected meeting. Connor Chaney was one for precise timing and preferred appointments. It was quite unusual for him to do something such as he had today. It had never occurred in the past.

Snowflake sat next to me, her eyes on the ground. When she decidedly looked up, her eyes found my own and she scooted closer, placing her large head in my lap. I knew it was customary for a Master to severely scold his Protector from being affectionate, however I could not help but reach down and trail my fingers through her thick coat.

I was mesmerized by the simple fact that this creature who enjoyed my touch publicly and the girl who never passed up a chance to criticize me were one in the same.

"I think I prefer you as a wolf," I murmured, becoming amused when her growl echoed through my body. However, it quickly subsided when my hand met the flesh behind her ears.

Our time alone ended quickly after as there was a knock on the door that signaled my client's arrival. Snowflake moved and I stood up, walking towards the door with Snowflake by my side.

I opened the door, twisting the knob. I was not able to fully open the door before the air left my lungs, and a deafening sound rang throughout the room.