Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

The man who had nearly been the cause of my death and was certainly the cause of my current pain was named Martin and turned out to be the adviser of a Gordon boy. Such a lucky man that Gordon was. It worried me that Kendall hadn't known that, but I didn't let the small piece of information get to me.

Martin had driven us far out, much farther than expected. Kendall had muttered a complaint, saying that he had much more important things to do than prove his own identity. It was loud enough for anyone nearby, such as Martin, to hear but was ultimately ignored.

We had driven out to Martin's acquired house, which was needlessly large for a single man. Martin had made the call while Kendall bandaged me up, applying cream that numbed the pain. Martin entered the room as Kendall finished, saying a true Gordon would be here within thirty minutes.

"How did a-" Martin paused dramatically, pointedly looking at Kendall's less-than-appealing appearance. "-man such as yourself end up with such an exotic wolf?" Martin's eyes flashed over to me, admiration and jealousy mixed together in his veiled eyes.

I may not be the standard black color of a Protector, but I certainly wasn't exotic. White wolves weren't as commonly spotted as black wolves, but we were seen every now and then. Just never before as a Protector.

Kendall tensed at the snide remark but kept calm. "I acquired such a werewolf because I, unlike some such as yourself, have the luxury of being able to afford one. However, this particular one made the mistake of underestimating me as you are now," he replied, managing to offend both Martin and me at the same time.

I only huffed at his comment, knowing it held a certain level of truth in it. I had underestimated a Gordon boy, even though I had grown around the tales and rumors of their sly deception. That itself screamed stupidity.

But Martin looked quite angered by the comment. His jaw was clenched tight enough that the cords of his neck seemed to pop out at me. "As if you have much room to talk. You didn't even acquire the wolf as a true prince would!" He snapped, worked up over nothing. Status and power were obviously important to this man, although he had none except over his natural wolves.

However, Kendall remained civil, appearing as if he were the more mature person. "Why should I throw away money that I have worked for when I can achieve my purpose using the wit I was naturally born with?" Kendall asked, the invisible smirk on his face almost tangible. He was winning the argument with little effort on his part.

Martin was seething by this point, his patience lost and his anger unveiled. "I could have you dead within seconds, you mutt. How dare you talk to me like that!" He snapped, jabbing a finger in Kendall's direction.

Kendall slowly walked towards Martin, the tension swirling and intensifying between the two men with each step. Kendall stopped just as his shoes were an inch from Martin's. The height difference between them was large, causing Kendall to look intimidating.

Kendall leaned in closely, so closely that Martin took a step back, unintentionally submitting. "How dare you talk to me as if I am a mere servant like yourself. I could have you killed for this act of disrespect," Kendall said lowly, his voice completely calm throughout it all.

Kendall then stood up, straightening his shirt and taking a step back. He was walking towards me when he added, "But an apology on your knees will be suffice when my brother confirms my identity."

I would've laughed had I been human. Seeing a man such as Martin, whose pride was precariously sitting upon a pedestal, apologizing on his knees would be comical to anyone. It was a shame that only three would be around to see the act.