Chapter Thirty Nine (Kendall)

This story is coming close to an end! This chapter is dedicated to a lovely reader/fan of the story who sent me a very inspirational message, so thank you!

Chapter Thirty Nine

Kendall's POV

I did not think it was possible for a single woman to cause a man to go through a complexity of emotions within a few hours. No woman should have such a gripping effect and still have the ability to walk away with ease. Yet, Snowflake was quick to prove my theory incorrect today.

Waking up to her was even more delightful than I had imagined it would be. I experienced it more than once, yet the scene did not lose its enchantment. I only became fonder of her each time.

I would wake to her velvety soft skin that was pressed closely to my own body. Wisps of her dark curls would find their way to my face over time; however, I did not mind. They gave me an excuse to touch her. I would carefully tuck them behind her ear before my fingers would graze her shoulder.

Each time, I was met with the same result. She would shiver and draw herself closer to me, subconsciously. The simple gesture would cause me to feel protective of her as if she were dependent on me. I was fully aware that when she was awake, she was quite the opposite. I still enjoyed each moment, although I would never be able to truly share them with her since she was not awake.

When she finally awoke, her heavy-lidded eyes would drift towards me. They conveyed innocence for those few seconds, oblivious to the world around us. She would then give me a tired smile, one I never took for granted, before I returned it with a light kiss.

I would attempt to further wake her by rubbing her shoulder and whispering to her. Once, it had done the opposite of its intended effect and soothed her back to sleep. However, today was successful, and she was soon attempting to coax me into giving her several more kisses.

Later, we were quiet. My eyes were closed as her fingers trailed my tattoo like small temptresses. I did not allow her to see the effect she had on me but instead kept my eyes closed.

I had suddenly smiled as I was reminded of her true name and a quote I had once heard. She was the flower for me; without, the room appeared void of life. But even a hint of her could provide the promise of it.

She was quick to produce the rest of the quote when I began reciting it to her. I was pleasantly surprised by her knowledge of it until she told me the mutt was fond of using quotes on her.

My attempt at complimenting her was useless, in my own eyes. I did not want her to find similarities between the mutt and myself. I wanted her to realize that I would try how however long it was necessary for her to feel comfortable with the idea of settling down with me.

She did not seem to understand why I did not like her mentioning the mutt around me. I would have attempted to explain it to her if I did not think it would annoy or anger her. So I instead kept silent about the subject.

However, it was when I told her the reason for my banning the use of guard dogs on my lands that I began to realize not all was as it was supposed to be.

I expected joy or something along the lines of it when I told her she was the reason. Her shutting me out was not a reaction I had predicted, but it was what she proceeded to do before exiting my room.

I thought perhaps it was something I had said or did. Perhaps I had not realized my mistake, as I had not many times before. However, the more I entertained the idea, the more I realized it was not the true answer.

It was not I that troubled her, but something else. The same strange behavior has occurred when she was found after the escape of the wolves. I had not realized until now that the two were most likely connected in some way.