Chapter Thirty Three

Chapter Thirty Theee

"Quit it," I hissed at Nolan, who hadn't stopped following me when I'd abruptly walked away from him.

"Not until you've heard me out, darling," Nolan replied from behind me, and I silently cursed but refrained from replying.

I knew Nolan better than anyone, and I happened to know that he was the most stubborn person on this earth. He always got his way simply because in his mind, failure wasn't possible.

I scanned the hall, faintly realizing we were near the empty room Kendall had once taken me in to eat lunch. It was an odd place to eat, but the perfect place to talk.

I located the room, opening the door and dragging Nolan inside with me. I closed it and turned to meet a rather smug man. Of course, Nolan was probably born with that stupid look on his face, so it didn't surprise me.

He walked closer, his amber eyes solely on me. I found myself walking backward, the prey attempting to escape its predator. But it was useless in a closed-off room, and I was soon backed into a corner.

I growled at him, the animalistic part of me feeling very threatened. I was trapped without escape by a very dominant wolf. That part of me itched for an escape route and wanted nothing to do with Nolan and his seductive ways.

But the larger part of me wasn't worried. Nolan could tempt the skirt off an asexual female if he wanted. It was his way of feeling in control or feeling as if he were the most dominant one in the room.

I decided to play along, hoping that if I pressed the right buttons, I would get what I wanted in return. It was just like a sensual dance, and I was prepared to be the last one standing.

"Flower, if you wanted to get me alone you certainly didn't have to drag me into an empty room," Nolan said with a grin, one hand playing with the edge of the dress I wore, intentionally skimming my outer thigh.

"Darling, if I wanted you undressed, you'd be undressed," I purred, running a nail along the thick vein in his neck. I knew without looking that desire had created a smokey ring in his eyes.

He leaned closer, but I placed a hand on his chest, preventing him from going further. His chest rumbled under my hand as he growled in displeasure. I would never admit this to Nolan, but I had missed our moments when we played for power over one another.

"Tell me there is no man of importance for you so that our bodies can become reacquainted," Nolan whispered, a hand snaking around my waist. I was surprised by both the sudden change in topics and by the plea in his voice.

I sighed, deciding that an answer wouldn't hurt anyone. "Sweetheart, we broke up mutually. You were too possessive, and I wasn't ready to give you what you wanted," I said softly, reaching up and running a hand through his hair. I found myself liking the newer style more.

"I am a patient man, darling. I waited years and years before I found you. I'm willing to wait until you're ready to settle down," Nolan said, completely shifting the conversation from the direction I wanted.

I frowned, pushing him back and leaving the corner. It was useless to try playing his game. Nolan wouldn't tell me what he knew unless I gave him something in return.

"I wasn't ready to settle down then, and I'm not ready to now," I said, crossing my arms.

"Now tell me what you know," I tried, and Nolan snorted, returning to himself.

"You and I both know it isn't that easy. I suggest you tell me why I can't have you, or I'll tell your Prince that you plan to free the werewolves he paid a great sum for," Nolan said, and the room seemed to freeze in those few seconds.