Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

The underdogs always won in the books. They always defeated and conquered whatever was set in their paths. Harry Potter defeated Lord Voldemort while Katniss Everdeen was the final tribute in The Hunger Games. However, in real life, the underdog was chewed up and spat back out in mangled pieces.

I, the underdog in this situation, had nearly died with barely putting up a true fight. After waking up rather painfully, I had gotten the full story. Apparently, I wasn't the only underdog who had lost that day.

As I'd passed out and continued to lose more blood, Kendall started towards me in some heroic attempt that would've only ended with his inevitable death. A human didn't stand a chance against a werewolf. The Protector's Master, who went by the name of Nick, stopped Kendall's course towards me and pulled out a lengthy knife. There was yet an answer to be given as to how he snuck the knife past the many guards in the castle.

He'd managed to stab Kendall in the shoulder but got no further than that before the guards tackled him to the floor. Kendall was announced fine, but he would have a scar for a few weeks. Unfortunately, I didn't get off as easily as he had. The small, jagged scar on my neck wouldn't be temporary.

They had managed to find out just why Nick had attacked Kendall. He'd hated the competition for land that Kendall provided. Nick had planned to kill him in a less obvious way, such as poison, but opportunity struck when Kendall invited him to an exclusive meeting. Originally, Nick's Protector was the one in charge of ending Kendall's life, but instead, the wolf had snapped when I appeared. The Protector had decided I was a more worthy kill than Kendall was.

I was currently sitting in my luxurious bed, slowly eating the supper I had been provided with a few minutes ago. After I finished, the bandage on my neck was to be changed. It was a task I desperately despised. The only bright side to this situation were the pills that numbed the pain that buzzed throughout my upper body.

I could hear the light taps of two feet as they neared my quarters. There was muffled talking as the person stopped in front on the door, exchanging a few words with the guards who'd been stationed outside my room. But it was loud enough for me to detect it as Kendall even before he opened to door widely to step inside the room.

He wore a knowing grin as he sat on the edge of my bed, watching me eat. Instantly, suspicion filled me. I only narrowed my eyes as I set my food down and proceeded to stare right back.

"Knocking is a tradition practiced around the world," I said, but he merely rolled his eyes at me. We'd been over it during his first visit as he hadn't knocked then either, and his reply had been that he was above trivial things such as knocking.

"I hope you are aware that wasting time does not allow the bandage to change itself, no matter the rate at which you eat," Kendall shot back, his knowing grin widening. I only growled lowly at him, dreaming of causing physical damage to him.

"Did you come here just to amuse yourself with my pain?" I asked, and his eyes lit up with the amusement in question.

"I came here to inform you of the ball tonight," he answered, looking down and straightening his already perfect cuffs.

"I wasn't aware of any ball. I didn't even realize there was anything to celebrate. What's the occasion?" I said slowly, treading with caution. Kendall's indirect gaze told me I wouldn't be in favor of this ball.

"You are the occasion," he replied, watching my surprised reaction. "It is the Protector Ball. This is usually held by every Master within the first year of receiving his beloved Protector."

"Receiving, is that what you call it? Maybe you should try replacing the word with capturing, blackmailing, or even tricking," I snorted, my eyes pointedly narrowing at him.

Kendall only sighed in reply, not thrilled by my response. "Could we not have a heated debate today? Cannot you just agree with me?" he asked as if it were the most simple request a man could ask for.

"Sure, Kendall, we don't have to create an argument over this," I started, sliding off the bed and walking into the bathroom. I could hear his sigh of relief that whispered itself into the room.

When he stood up to leave was when I allowed the rest to make itself apparent. "You'll just have to explain to your guests as to why your Protector isn't present at the ball."

He paused, another sigh escaping him. I only grinned, feeling smug with myself at the moment. Kendall wasn't going to get a smooth trip through paradise from me, not after my close encounter with death just for his ass.

"I knew this was too easy," he muttered, strolling into the bathroom while holding his head high as if his problems were below him.

"I mean, why should I attend when there's no true need? The only person whose trust I need to gain is you. You're in charge of making others believe I'm trustworthy material because I'll be a wolf a majority of the time," I explained, gritting my teeth as I peeled off the ruined bandage that had tried embedding itself into my skin.

I started for a new one, but Kendall stopped me, saying, "Allow me."

I listened closely as he rummaged through the drawers, pulling out a small container that held a white cream. He took the lid off before putting a small amount on the edge of his fingers, moving towards my scar. I quickly took a step sideways, instinctively growling at him, untrusting.

"I am not going to harm you," he said softly, making no further advancement in my direction. We stood like that for a full minute until I forced myself to relax but kept my view on Kendall.

He took small steps, approaching, and his fingers gently smoothed the cream over my scar. I let out a ragged sigh as the pain alleviated itself from my neck. The whole time Kendall's eyes remained on my own reflecting in the mirror.

"People will form first impressions, Snowflake. This is your chance to allow them to form a memorable and lasting one. They will not remember you from mere words I produce, but from the astonishing impression you make on them tonight," Kendall murmured, settling the bandage neatly on my neck. He'd cleaned my wound with much more care than I had been doing in the past.

I opened my mouth but closed it with a frown when Kendall held up his hand. "When you attend the ball, your ball, that shall be your thank you," he said, starting out of the room.

"There will be a dress delivered to your room shortly," Kendall added, and then I heard the door shut quietly behind him. I only muttered under my breath, flipping off his invisible presence.

As he said, there was a dress delivered shortly after my tray of food was taken away. When the guard opened my door to hand the dress to me, I could hear the excited chirps coming from the maids as they rushed back and forth.

"We haven't had this much excitement in such a long time!"

"How do you suppose people will react to a light-coated Protector?"

"Perhaps a Prince will scoop me up and whisk me away!"

While I learned very little from this, except that there was little chance of the latter, it still remained helpful. People were awaiting this ball, even Kendall's servants who only received more work as they were the ones responsible for setting up the event.

I looked at the dress, admiring it reluctantly. It was a stunning red thing clearly made to draw attention, which I based on the bedazzled jewels at the base of it. The designer had made the dress in hopes of making the person wearing it appear bold as there was no back to the dress. I was sure it was beautiful with the diamond necklace and earrings that had been delivered with it, but they all screamed attention, something I didn't crave.

I took a slow shower, wasting as much time as possible. It wasn't soon before there was banging on my door, demanding I hurry along as Kendall would be here any second to escort me to the ball. I only ignored them, adding a touch of makeup before putting on the jewelry.

Put together, I looked like the trophy wife of a Prince. I looked as if I cared about my appearance. I looked as if I knew what I was capable of and would use it to the best of my abilities. I looked bold and confident, something that would help me get through the night.

There was a rapping on my door, and I took my time answering it. I'd heard his footsteps before he had even arrived, so I'd known it was him. I took a slow breath, preparing myself for a most dreadful night before opening the door.