Chapter Twenty Nine

Thank you damnthoseherondales, for thinking of two ship names: Snowdall and Kenflake (update: the 'official' one is Snowfall)

Chapter Twenty Nine

Kendall had closed the door to his office, isolating us from the rest of the palace and world. He hadn't said a word since directing us here, and Nolan didn't seem the least bit worried. In fact, I was sure there was the barest hint of a smug smirk on his face. Unlike Nolan, I was terrified.

A quiet Kendall wasn't good news because it meant he was processing everything and thinking. If Kendall was thinking, then he was already two steps ahead of Nolan and me. He probably knew what he wanted to say and what he was going to do before we had even stepped foot into the office.

Kendall walked over to his desk, tension curling itself around our feet like a pet. "Sit," was all he said as he glanced out the window where the garden lay.

I hesitantly sat and looked up at Nolan who was still standing. He laughed, either unaware of the tension or denser than I had remembered. I knew he was aware of the Gordon boy's reputation because he'd lived in the town I had. Yet, it seemed like he'd forgotten all of the rumors and tales.

"I don't sit on cue like some-" Nolan started but was quickly cut off by Kendall's sharp tongue.

"You will sit on cue unless you want the guards called in to snap a collar around your neck like a dog. Now sit!" Kendall snapped, his voice rising with each word.

They both stared at one another for what seemed like an eternity. Nolan slowly sat down, his eyes never leaving Kendall's. Right then, Nolan reminded me of a wolf tracking its prey. However, surrounded by guards who were loyal only to their Prince, Nolan was the prey.

"Now, you are going to inform me what the hell you were planning to do with my Protector. Is that understood?" Kendall asked calmly. He had yet to even look at or acknowledge me.

I already knew this was going to go downhill. Kendall was a man who gave orders and had done so throughout most of his life. Nolan was a man who hated to be given orders and naturally bent them as far as they were willing, or sometimes unwilling, to go. The two together were a disaster.

Nolan smirked at Kendall and I closed my eyes, inhaling. This was already off to a bad start.

"You see, heavenly Prince, I ran into my darling on my way to find you, ironically. But I saw the woman who used to warm my bedside and thought it was best to see if she was willing to do so again-"

"Nolan!" I snapped, my ears burning. I certainly wasn't a prude, but all of that wasn't Kendall's business. And it was a horrible, unnecessary lie.

"The last part was a lie, I admit, but I am rather familiar with her," Nolan confessed, and Kendall's eyes finally flashed.

"I hope you enjoy lying in a concrete, steel room chained by the neck. Guards," Kendall said, having heard enough. He didn't yell or speak loudly, but he was heard.

The doors opened and guards clustered in, grabbing Nolan. However, he didn't fight them but merely gave Kendall a look before he went with them willingly. Then, Kendall and I were the only ones left.

After a few minutes, Kendall finally sat down and ran his hands through his hair. A sigh escaped his lips before his blue eyes found me.

"Is what he said true?" Kendall asked, studying me. Maybe he expected a lie to slip from my mouth or for me to deny the dirty accusation. However, he wouldn't get either.

"Yes, I have slept with him, not that it's any of your business," I said slowly, but the answer didn't satisfy Kendall.

"And the rest?" He asked, his eyes still on me. His frown had disappeared, his face becoming a mask of nothing.