Chapter Thirty Five

My friend Shay wants you guys to know that she is the queen and that you're her "fuckin' peasants."

Chapter Thirty Five

When Nolan told me he'd gotten the uniform from a female, I'd just assumed I'd be able to fit into it. But I didn't think she'd be the size of a grizzly bear or built like one either.

"Why the hell is it so huge?" I snapped at Nolan who was watching with glittering eyes as I struggled.

"Quit whining, darling. Would you rather walk around on the collar and leash? I'm sure you and I could conjure up some fun with that," he suggested with his sly grin. It only made me hope that I accidentally choked him with the collar.

"Funny, Nolan. You know we could get caught and killed, then what?" I asked and he frowned, walking over to me.

"Flower, it was a joke. You simply say it's a temporary one until yours has arrived. It's what they've done for several guards," he explained slowly, reaching up and rubbing his thumb along my jaw. I closed my eyes and took deep breaths to attempt at calming myself down.

After my conversation with Kendall this morning, I was slightly more anxious than I would usually be. He'd surprised me with breakfast in bed before telling me about several Kings who would be stopping by next week with their daughters-or potential wives, as Kendall said.

He'd then asked me how I wanted him to deal with it. I'd been surprised that he'd even asked for my opinion but hadn't argued. In fact, I'd been a bitch without hesitation and told him to do "whatever the hell he wanted" before storming out, which seemed to be the only thing I was good at these days.

I'd regretted it the second the door slammed shut, but I couldn't bring myself to go back and apologize. Pride was a hard thing to overcome, and I was just another one of its millions of victims. But ever since, I'd felt guilty and was beyond distracted.

"Flower?"

I opened my eyes, meeting the amber ones that were staring directly at me. I gave him a reassuring smile before patting his hand and pulling away. Nolan could be a bit overprotective when my mood shifted, and now wasn't the time for that.

"I'll be fine as long as this uniform doesn't snag onto something," I said but heard his feet shuffling towards me.

"It's exactly like the time we flew out of the country and posed as a King and his Queen who were visiting from far away," he murmured with a smile, and I found myself smiling too.

It had been right before Nolan and I had broken up. You have to keep in mind: the small island we'd visited was secluded from everyone and had no idea we were lying. To them, we were dressed like a King and Queen, claimed to be one, so we were one. They were absolutely ecstatic by our arrival.

We'd stayed in a stunning hotel where we'd been given the exclusive honeymoon suite and everything was completely free. They'd even ended up redecorating the hotel, placing vases of Amaryllises around each corner and building a new set of suites to name after "King Nolan." But the wonderful place had also been part of the reason we'd split up.

"So instead of a King and Queen, we're a guard and her mutt," I said, and Nolan flashed me a grin.

"Exactly, darling. Perhaps we can return here after and reenact some of those scenes in the hotel?" Nolan asked with a raised eyebrow. I laughed in return, some of my jitters disappearing.

"Not a chance, Nolan. Now go into the bathroom and shift so we can try this collar out," I said with my own grin, wiggling the collar that Nolan bared his teeth at.