Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

As I memorized my way around the palace for the sake of a quick escape, I also had the opportunity to study Kendall, my new "Master."

It turned out Kendall was a very harsh person. The surprising part was that he seemed to prefer it that way. He had not a shred of tolerance for mistakes and stupidity. If someone glanced at him in the wrong moment, he'd let his sharp tongue loose and send them out with tears blanketing their face.

I also began to understand why people grew nervous around him. His face always had a stern look stitched into it while his eyes held an expression that said he had no soul. It always amazed me how quickly Kendall could transform from that to the amused one I'd grown to despise.

The second Kendall and I were alone, his eyes would fill with that irritating amusement as if he found every situation hilarious. It had actually frightened me at first, but I had eventually grown used to it.

Recently, Kendall had told me he had a surprise in store for me in the near future. I'd been very suspicious and untrusting until he hinted that it involved a tattoo. That's when I'd grown excited.

I'd always wanted a tattoo, but my parents had never allowed for it. Tattoos ruined the purity of the body and gave off an unprofessional look. I'd thought Kendall had learned about my desire for one from my mother or friends, but looking back, that didn't make sense. When had I ever heard of Protectors receiving tattoos with their Princes?

Kendall took me to the lower part of the palace and led me into a dimly lit room. I should've hesitated then, but I'd trusted Kendall too much, like a fool. It turned out Kendall assumed tattooing and branding were the same thing.

I'd attempted to fight them, of course. I'd even managed to harm one of them to the point where he had needed emergency medical assistance. Unfortunately, it ended with them tying me up with chains like livestock until I couldn't move.

While they branded the tribal sun symbol on my ear, I kept my eyes on Kendall, letting him view my hatred. Guilt had flickered in his eyes but disappeared just as swiftly. Since then, I hadn't spoken to him or looked in his direction.

Currently, we were in Kendall's office, just the two of us, where we had been for the last two hours. Kendall had filled out stacks of paperwork while I sat in the corner furthest from him and closest to the door.

Kendall suddenly looked up, his eyes connecting with my own. I only looked away in response, towards the nearby door, but still heard his audible sigh.

"Snowflake, I have given you my most sincere apology numerous times, yet I will continue to do so until you accept it," he said, hoping his little speech would cause me to finally cave. I didn't even blink.

Abruptly, I heard his hands slam down against his desk, creating a thundering sound that echoed throughout the room. I jerked my head in his direction, meeting his frustration.

"Damn it, stop being so stubborn!" He snapped, allowing slivers of anger to reach the surface of his eyes. He'd finally cracked, his patience with me used fully.

I only huffed before looking away, not finding his apology very "sincere." The last time I had heard a sincere apology, the person didn't yell at me a second later.

"I am sorry you were tattooed against your will. However, as I recall, you had seemed a tad bit excited at first," Kendall tried, his voice softer than it had been not a minute ago.

I had been excited because the thought of finally possessing a tattoo had been thrilling. The thought of being branded held the opposite effect.

"Fine, you can continue to act as a child would, but you must remain doing your job," he said, standing up from the desk and walking out without a mere glance towards me.

"Today is your first true test as my Protector. You are to watch the people in the upcoming meeting as I conduct it," he informed me. I quietly huffed behind him as it seemed easy enough.

He waltzed into yet another room, and I reluctantly followed. Yet, hesitation settled in as I took the room in with confusion.

The was absolutely nothing in it, not a shred of furnishing  nor decoration hiding the bland walls. It looked like a new house that had yet to find an owner.

I caught Kendall's eyes, and I was sure he noticed the surprise in them as he started explaining himself.

Kendall merely shrugged as he said, "A room so blank allows my mind to become just as clear."

I sat there absorbing this in as he called in a guard, demanding two plates of food be brought to us.

Kendall settled down, making himself comfortable before glancing at me, his apology in his eyes. I looked away once again, listening to his pathetic attempt at growling. It was very comical, but he seemed to have forgotten I could also growl.

Just as I considered growling in response to his own, there was a series of tapping on the door that soon ended.

"You may enter," Kendall said, his voice filled with the irritation meant for me.

A balding man, wearing what appeared to be the clothes of a chef, entered along with a cart that rolled carelessly in front of him. On the cart, two large plates rested with domes sealing in the heat.

He started towards Kendall but changed his route when Kendall gave him a pointed look. The dome and plate were set in front of me, the thick aroma seeping out the sides. By the smell alone, I could tell it was tomato soup.

He placed the last plate in front of Kendall before realizing I couldn't open my own. He then walked over, revealing the steaming tomato soup. What a surprise.

"Today, I have served to you a well-seasoned, creamy tomato soup with a touch of basil," he announced proudly, looking over at Kendall.

Kendall nodded before murmuring, "Dismissed," and the chef took his cart, gracefully leaving the room.

As I ate the soup, which held more taste than I had predicted, I stared at Kendall who was too busy inspecting his food to notice. That's when my mind started wondering, questioning as to why Kendall didn't have a lifelong companion.

He was certainly attractive, something I would never tell him. What woman wouldn't want to feel his silky black hair or stare into his light, mysterious blue eyes? There had to be someone who had fallen for him and someone he had fallen for. But I had yet to see or hear of her.

Maybe his arrogance and impatience was the only thing he was compatible with. Maybe the two worked together seamlessly to scare away potential lovers as a jealous mate might.

Some time while I was thinking, Kendall must have noticed my staring. His own eyes were now on me, a distant look in them. It suddenly vanished before he cleared his throat and looked away. He then stood up and dusted off those nasty invisible particles.

He walked away from his dish, pausing when I stayed near mine. "I cannot be late, Snowflake. We are much too important to worry about mundane things such as cleaning dishes. Someone else will stop by and do so for us," he explained, and I huffed in disagreement but stood up and followed him out.

I had changed my mind about there being a female out there waiting for him. His overly large ego would never allow for such competition.