Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

This morning, I had woken to the thundering sound of banging on my door. Once it was assured I was fully awake, a herd of guards instructed me to dress decently and informed me that I would be led to Kendall's office when I was ready. It was either that or I would be "kindly" directed.

I had taken my time getting dressed, choosing a large shirt and a pair of sweats to wear, figuring I would have to shift and perform my Protector duties sometime during the day. I wasn't particularly looking forward to seeing Kendall because we hadn't talked since his brother had brought us back to the palace.

The ball had continued without us, Lex assuring everyone we would return soon. It ended, none of them having a clue we hadn't showed up yet. Once we'd returned, Kendall had been placed into and out of meetings or had some type of business to attend to. I had seen him once, long enough for us to both make eye contact, but someone had grabbed his attention shortly after.

Believe me, I'd tried returning things to normal. I'd shifted the morning after and walked towards his room only to have a guard tell me I wouldn't be needed until I was told so. That resulted in my lounging around, waiting. It got to the point where Lex snapped at me in a crowded room because I had continually "pestered" him.

After I decided it was about time to leave, I swung the door open, meeting the impatient face of a guard. He was only inches away as if he was going to knock on the door yet again.

"Was it necessary to take so long? The Prince expected us a minute ago," he grunted, trying not to add too much bite into his words. He wouldn't want the Protector telling her precious Master that he'd insulted her. I couldn't imagine that ending too well for the guard in any scenario.

"Don't get all screwy on me just yet. I'll take the blame, although you're at fault for not telling me we're on a timed schedule," I replied, watching with a Cheshire grin as the guard grew flustered and looked down at his feet.

"Well? Lead the way. The Prince expected us a minute ago," I mimicked, his expression worth the teasing. He began barking orders at the others and we were on our way shortly after.

Ordering the guards around was one of the few perks of being a Protector. I was placed higher in ranking than everyone except Kendall himself. But I didn't take advantage of it, save with the guards. I even helped a few servants on occasion. But the guards gave me the worst remarks and looks, so it only seemed fit to return the favor.

The guards halted in front of the grand office doors. The one who had led us here looked pale and hesitated in opening the doors. I sighed, pushing back my hair which had traveled closer to my face during our walk, before standing next to him.

"Oh for heaven's sake, I'll open them," I snapped impatiently, grabbing the twin doorknobs and pulling. I knew it was custom for a guard to open the door, but I couldn't bring myself to care.

Kendall was standing by his desk, turned away from us while on a phone. At the groaning sound created by the doors, he whirled around, irritation evident from his ongoing conversation. When he realized it was me, he sighed and ran a hand through his hair.

"We will finish this later. I have other matters to deal with than your unnecessarily stubborn behavior," Kendall said calmly, hanging up without waiting for a response.

"I would ask for an explanation as to why you were not on time, but I will safely assume you are at fault," he said, making his way over to his desk. It was then that I noticed the bags under his eyes.

I huffed, crossing my arms against my chest as a guard closed the doors. "Maybe if you actually slept, you wouldn't be so snappy," I replied, getting satisfaction out of the narrowing of his eyes.