Chapter Five (Kendall)

Whenever there is a chapter in Kendall's POV, ALWAYS expect the exact same chapter again, but in Snowflake's POV after it.

Chapter Five

Kendall's POV

Tamer shifted, clearly uncomfortable in my office. I assumed it was because he was too used to the dark, isolated room he occupied to train the wolves, never going outside to soak in the sun, judging by his pale skin.

"Do you think that is acceptable?" I asked him with a raised eyebrow. I had just ran a proposition by him and wanted his opinion. If he was smart, he would say what I wanted him to say.

He shifted yet again and I sighed impatiently. "Prince, I'm afraid I don't think that's a good idea," he mumbled, looking down at the floor. Tension slowly seeped into the room, circling itself around Tamer.

"And why is that not a good idea?" I asked, a poorly concealed warning in my voice. I had mostly asked for his opinion for my amusement and to show courtesy. But I was caring less and less about courtesy and irritation was filling my body, not amusement. Tamer might have kept to himself in his room with no one to talk to but the wolves, but even he knew not to go against me.

Our little conflict was about his wolves. Usually, I could not bring myself to care about them as they were for the guards. But when I had felt nothing but disappointment at the sight of the last batch of wolves, I had taken a sudden interest.

Since I had come into power, I had been what they called "unprotected." I had not felt the need, the craving, for one like the rest of the royal families. They were a display of power and wealth which I showed by having wolves assigned to all of my guards. It seemed to work because others were following in my footsteps, assigning wolves to their most elite guards. But when my life was threatened, I had decided that it was time to start a search for a wolf to call my own.

But there was a slight problem: I was not satisfied by just any wolf. A wolf born with indefinite fight would be preferable over a wolf taught to fight. The wolf taught to fight might instinctively take it and cower, while a wolf born with fight would not back down.

I also did not want the "standard" wolf all royalties were known for. For guards, the common wolf to own was the one covered in dusty gray fur, while for "Masters," like I would soon be, it was common to own the distinguishable black-furred wolf. Particularly a male, for having a female wolf labeled you weak. But I had my own opinions on that subject.

I agreed with black showing power, but halted behind the crowd when they talked of it showing wealth. How were Masters showing their wealth by capturing a wolf that was a mere replica of other wolves owned by Masters? You were only showing your eager willingness to follow.

I also did not believe male protectors were necessarily the strongest. I believed males had the power to be more aggressive, but in a given situation, would they? Would they stay and guard their master, or would they escape at their first opportunity? Most would choose the latter, feeling no emotional connection or loyalty towards their Master. But a female, she could be taught loyalty.

I believed if I took the time and patience to tame her myself that she would grow fond of me, despite her being captive, that she would become loyal to none but me. The situation would not matter to her. In her mind, I would be hers to protect.

It would not be "appropriate" at first in the eyes of others. People might doubt me, but I think with enough convincing they would realize just how powerful I was.

"The wolves, they aren't stable," Tamer tried, finally racking up a pitiful excuse. I just waved him off.

"Take me there now while I still have nothing on my schedule. I want a look at the wolves," I instructed, and his mouth opened to produce another excuse, but nothing spewed out. So I followed Tamer, who tried several weak attempts at convincing me not to go.