Nine.

Songs for this chapter: - like that - Bea Miller
- Let Me Get Me - Selena Gomez

   I look in the mirror one more time and I smile satisfied. I run my hand over the skirt, pulling it down a little bit. I fix my white shirt which was stuffed under my skirt and then i look down at my black sneakers. I've spent only half an hour getting ready and I think I look pretty good. I don't want to show too much because that's simply not me, but I also don't want to be too withdrawn.

   I turn around and I take my purse, then I leave the room and I close the door behind me.

   I made up my mind about the party only an hour ago. The only thing I was sure of is that I wasn't going to please Jake; from there, it wasn't so hard to make a decision. I didn't want to stay home while he was out there having fun with his girlfriend. I wanted to be there. I wanted to breath down his neck the entire night. All just to make sure he knows he does not control me.

   I leave my purse on the kitchen counter and I walk towards the fridge to get a bottle of water. I turn around and I almost scream when I see Jake leaning on the counter and looking at me. He has the same amount of hate in his eyes as he did a while ago.

   "What makes you think you're going to that party?" he asks raising an eyebrow.

   "What makes you think I'm not going to that party?" I smile trying to step a little bit more on his nerves. I'm just getting started. "I was invited. I don't have plans. And I feel like having some fun. I don't see any reason why I shouldn't go."

   He rolls his eyes then takes a few steps towards me and looks me dead in the eyes.

   "I'm done being your chauffeur, love."

   I roll my eyes then pass by him and take my phone out of my purse and without any hesitation I call Nate.

   "Hi." I say when he answers.

   "Nicole? Hi. Is everything alright? Did Jake try to strangle you?" he laughs.

   I roll my eyes again and I turn around so I can look at Jake. He is looking at me. He is frowned. He is curious.

   "Actually... I was wondering if you could pick me up."

   He is tense now.

   "I'll be there in 2 minutes." he says and I hear a car door close.

   I end the call and I put the phone back in my purse. I look at Jake and I can see that he is tense. He hates this. He hates that I don't depend on him, that he doesn't control me.

   He picks up his keys off the counter and passes by me on his way out of the house.

   I'm so done with him.

   I take my stuff off the counter too and I leave the house. When I get out all I see is Jake's car leaving and Nate's parking in his spot.

   "Hi. Thanks for giving me a ride." I say when I get in the car.

   "No problem. Is everything alright with Warren?" 

   I noticed that most of people refer to Jake by his last name. Usually that's some kind of way to show respect. But I doubt that's why. He had never done anything that could disserve even a little bit of respect.

   "Yeah. Just some pride and stubbornness. The usual." I answer jumping my shoulders.

   The entire car ride we sang to old songs and joked around. We flirted with each other and he didn't hesitate to make fun of me and the entire situation with Jake. He made me feel better. And it was so easy.