Sixty three.

Song for this chapter: Us - James Bay

"I can't believe you're actually going to a prom... with someone you actually like." Kelly mocks me while she's fixing my hair for the third time in the last two minutes.

"Yeah... I'm kind of nervous." I say making her laugh.

"I know, right? It's their graduation prom and we're the anxious ones." she puts down the hairspray and looks at me. "You're done." she smiles proud.

"Finally." I mock her.

I walk to the mirror and I smile proud of what I see. The make up, the hair, the dress... I look amazing.

"Thank you." I turn around and I hug her.

"No problem." she whispers. "I love making you look like a princess."

"No... Thank you... for everything. For being my friend, for..."

"No." she stops me. "We're not doing this tonight, ok? Tonight we're having fun. It's a prom!" she grabs my shoulders and shakes me a little to make sure I won't cry.

"Ok, ok." I raise my hands giving up.

"Great." she takes our clutches and hands me mine. "Now let's go bless those boys with our presence." she says arrogantly and then we both laugh.

Kelly looks in the mirror then blows a kiss and leaves the room dancing. Laughing, I get close to the mirror and I admire what I see. Red is my color and will probably always be... but I also look good in black. The long dress looks amazing no me. Its material it's similar to silk. And the thin straps and the long slit are the perfect touch.

"Nicole!" Kelly calls me from downstairs.

I grab my phone and I put it in my clutch then I leave the room, closing the door behind me. Taking a deep breath, I start walking down the stairs and I smile when I see Jake waiting for me at the end. He looks perfect. Jake in a suit is... perfection. His hair looks perfect, his body looks perfect... He's perfect.

"Wow." he mumbles when I stop in front of him.

"Wow you too." I smile and I kiss him.

"You guys are adorable." Kelly squeaks.

Liz takes a few more photos of us then, after she tells us to have fun, we leave.

*

The gym was decorated so good that you can't even tell it's an actual school gym. There are balloons everywhere, and there's a lot of glitter and there's also a huge poster congratulating the former high schoolers.

After Matthew and Kelly take their picture we do the same then we go find a table.

The entire night, we dance, we drink punch, we hang out with our friends, we laugh... we're happy.

When our song starts to play I look at Jake and he smiles and holds out his hand. I offer him mine then we walk to the dance floor where I put my head on his shoulder and we start dancing.

"Did you have something to do with this?" I ask smiling.

"Maybe." he also smiles.

"Thank you." I look at him. "For tonight. It was perfect."

"I tried. I had to make up for the previous proms you missed or I ruined." he says and we both laugh.

He takes a step back then he spins me and I stop, my back pressing on his chest. He moves his fingertips over my arm and then goes down on my bare back, stopping at the waist. He turns me around, our faces being so close I can feel his breath on my lips.

"I think you're supposed to kiss me now." I smile remembering the first time we danced together.

"Really? Sorry. I forgot a few steps." he laughs.

*

"Are you tired?" he asks me when we talk into the house.

I shake my head and he smiles. He kisses my forehead then he tells me to wait for him in the backyard. I frown but when I see him go upstairs still telling me to go I laugh and I start walking to the backyard. I sit down on the swing and I look up at the stars.

After a few minutes, Jake shows up with a blanket in his hands. He puts it on the ground then holds out his hand. I grab it and he helps me lay on the blanket. He sits next to me and I lay down, putting my head on his chest, listening to his heart beat.

"How romantic." I joke.

"Enjoy it as it lasts." he laughs.

I do enjoy it. I close my eyes and I keep listening to his heart beat, slowly becoming my favorite sound in the world.